Chapter 37

Dr. Jacob Bridger had been calmly waiting for the banging to stop. He stood next to the controls that would open the door, and as soon as the banging ceased he swiftly opened it. 

   And there he stood, face to face with the Slayer.

   Ruth saw her husband and let out a despairing scream. She had wondered what idiot opened the doors and now she knew. "What the heck was he thinking." She thought.

   She was about to close her eyes to avoid seeing her husband's gruesome demise, but then she spotted something large and gleaming in his arms. It was a weapon of some sort, one like she had never seen before.

   The beast seemed to sense the danger and took a step back. The whistling as deafening as ever. Jacob Bridger wore earmuffs though. It seemed while everyone else passively cowered in fear, he had gotten into action, preparing himself with ear-protection and a weapon.           

   Now that Ruth thought about it, she did recall that her husband had been secretly working on something. It must have been this weapon.

    The Slayer let out a sickening screech and the whistling quieted a little. A strange buzz could be heard. Ruth looked and saw that her husband had fired the weapon, it had a bluish glow and emitted a buzzing sound. Jacob fired again. This time the whistling stopped. The monster began very slowing slinking away. The weapon was obviously doing some serious damage. He fired a third time. The Slayer let out a final shriek and then lay still.

    Jacob stood there facing his defeated foe. He had been prepared to die and was stunned that he had succeeded. He tried to walk and swayed a little bit. He was light-headed and realized he had been holding his breath. He let out a trembling sigh and closed his eyes.

   Cheers erupted behind him and he nearly jumped out of his skin. He turned and faced his fans. One face stood out among all the others. Tears formed in his eyes. He dropped the gun and held out his arms. Ruth rushed into them. They tightly embraced each other as tears of joyful relief flooded into their eyes.

   The captain approached them. He put his hand on Jacob's shoulder. "Mr. Bridger, under different circumstances I would be obligated to lock you up again."

   Jacob looked alarmed.

   The captain continued. "But you just saved the human race! Weapons, as you know are not allowed on this voyage, but without yours, we would have surely met our extinction. In all honesty, you deserve a medal!"

   "Thank you, Captain. It's an honor, sir." Jacob said, his face flushed.

   Everyone stood in shocked relief. A few people, who were sure they were going to die, began crying. It was now dusk and everybody was hungry and tired.

   The Captain went back to Liam, Beth, and Kelbar. He trusted Beth's word that the tall alien was not a threat. He glanced up at him and then looked back to Beth.

   Beth sensed a question and asked. "Yes, Captain?"

   The captain remembered his question, "I was wondering if you could ask Kelbar if there are any more of those beasts around?"

   Beth was pretty sure that the beast that was just slain was the only one, but she asked Kelbar just to be certain.

   The captain marveled that Beth was able to speak the alien's language.

   "It's the only one that I've ever seen," Kelbar answered.

   "That was the only one," Beth told the captain.

   "Good." The captain stated. "Thanks for your help."

   The captain left them and began informing people of the situation. Soon people began to slowly trickle out of the ship.

    A team was assembled to move the carcass of the monster. They also looked around the area for remnants of the humans that were killed, but could only find blood. The monster was huge and very heavy. It took ten men to drag it away. They stored it behind some bushes in the distance. Scientists were probably interested in studying it later, so they didn't bury it. Then the blood was covered with dirt as a few silent prayers were lifted up in respect.

    With everyone out of the ship, the captain closed the door. It was covered with deep gouges, dents, and scratches. The monster actually managed to do some damage. He marveled at its ferocious strength.

    The captain joined everyone as they solemnly ate dinner. Officer Carter came to him after he was done eating and informed him that three passengers were killed.

    "I'm glad it wasn't more." The captain said gravely. "We'll hold a service first thing tomorrow morning."

   "Sounds good Captain," Carter said.

    __________

   Beth awoke with her head upon Liam's chest. They were outside in the grass. Kelbar was nearby, also sleeping. She was surprised that they were able to fall asleep last night after the day's terrifying events, especially outside where all the potential dangers were. She snuggled closer into Liam. As long as he was near, she felt safe. It was still very dark out, but she knew dawn was just around the corner. Liam sighed in his sleep. Beth closed her eyes and listened to his breathing. She drifted back into a sweet sleep.

   Beth felt a finger glide across her face and twirl in her hair. Then she felt as if someone was softly blowing on her face. She scrunched her nose. "Good morning beautiful." Said a familiar voice.

    "Good morning to you too, ugly." She jokingly replied, her eyes still closed.

   "Hey!" Liam said, pretending to have hurt feelings. He playfully pushed her aside.

   She opened her eyes. Liam's green eyes stared back. Invisible energy seemed to fill the space between them. They inched closer to each other. Beth noticed Liam glance at her lips.

   "Hey! The service is starting in seven minutes." A young boy interrupted their moment.

   Liam grumbled in frustration. Beth laughed at him. "Come on, we don't want to be late." She said.

   They got up and made their way towards the ship, where all the people seemed to be gathering.

   Once the majority of the people were there, the captain stepped up onto the ramp leading into the ship and begin speaking.

   "We have been through much and I am very proud of you all for staying strong. It grieves me to tell you this, but as some of you know, we lost three of our own yesterday. I thank God it wasn't more. We could've easily all been killed and I would like to honor the ones whose lives were taken from them by having a moment of silence." The captain bowed his head, eyes closed. Many others did the same. It was a moment of intense emotion and many silent tears were shed.

   Just as the younger ones of the crowd began fidgeting, the captain lifted his head. "Thank you all for sharing this moment of respect." He said.

    People began to wander off to start the day. There was still a ton of work to be done even if it felt like the world had stopped. That's what death does, it quakes with bittersweet destruction, wreaking havoc with peoples' worlds and emotions, but at the end of the day, life goes on.