6

"What on earth did you think you were doing?" said the Chief, her expression thunderous. She was a serious woman with short hair and sharp features that made her seem ageless.

"I didn't think you needed to know," Isaiah said guiltily.

They were in the Chief's office, a warm, cosy space full of bookcases, dark mahogany and deep leather chairs.

"Don't lie to me, Isaiah. The reason you didn't tell me about you bringing her in is because you knew I wouldn't allow it."

"I was just exercising my privileges as an Inquisitor," Isaiah shrugged. "House Law allows me to admit recruits to the Initiation programme if I think they're worthy of the challenge."

The Chief snorted in derision. "As if you usually pay the slightest bit of attention to House Law. This girl is a different case, Isaiah. She's far too old to be admitted as a recruit. You know how dangerous it can be to bring in children at as late a stage as this. They lack control over their magic and that can have deadly consequences. Not to mention the fact that this girl was sentenced to death at the request of the House of Dominus. You spat in their faces by freeing her, and they won't forget it in a hurry. Tensions are high enough as it is with all the rumours flying around after the plot to overthrow the Palace was uncovered. I don't need my Inquisitors running around and adding to Dominus' resentment for us. The Houses can only protect the Palace and the City when they co-operate."

"Well who's to say that Dominus wants to protect the City and the Palace? They wanted that girl dead because she saw something she shouldn't. Dominus is no longer our friend. We need to prepare."

The Chief rolled her eyes. "Not this again. Your suspicions are baseless, you're just paranoid, Isaiah."

"The last time I was paranoid, I prevented the entire Royal family from being murdered in their beds, or have you forgotten? From the descriptions, the Dominus man that the girl, Erin, stole from is undeniably Ansel Maddox. He wants Erin dead so she can't talk."

"Have you Seen anything that supports this? Do you have any evidence? Anything that can be brought before a jury, other than the word of an adolescent thief?"

Isaiah bowed his head. "No," he said quietly. "But I'm sure, ma'am. Please trust me."

The Chief sighed and rubbed her eyes, all her energy suddenly gone.

"I do trust you. Of course I do. You're the best Inquisitor the House has ever seen and in all the decades we've worked together, you've never once let me down. But these are difficult times, Isaiah. I can't risk giving Dominus an excuse to lash out. I refuse to be the Chief who allowed war to break out between the Houses for the first time in history."

"Erin needs to stay, ma'am. I don't think it was chance that lead her to steal from Maddox. She's going to play an important part in the coming calamities, that I have seen. We need to keep her close. We can't risk her falling into the hands of anyone who would do us harm."

The Chief cocked her head. "The calamities? You mean the darkness that our Seers have been fretting about?"

Isaiah nodded. "I know that taking her in is a risk, but the alternative is far more dangerous. Besides, I think she has the potential to be a wonderful Inquisitor. I think you'd like her. I certainly do."

The Chief raised her eyebrows. "You mean you'd take her on as an apprentice? It's about bloody time you took on a new one."

She pondered for a moment. "Fine. I'll let her stay, but under the condition that if she passes Initiation, you have to take her on as an apprentice."

"Thank you, ma'am," Isaiah smiled.

"Oh, but I henceforth make you fully responsible for her. If she steps even a toe out of line, I'll have your head. There is no margin for error here."

"Of course, ma'am," Isaiah said, relieved with this outcome.

"But promise me, Isaiah. Keep your head down. Don't bring any more trouble to my door."

Her face was deadly serious again and Isaiah nodded in assent.

"Thank you, ma'am."

He turned heel and walked out, wondering how long it would be before his knack for mischief led him back up here for another scolding.