Chapter 4.2 - History

Start from the beginning

"But we're going to need food before that," said Alam. "The goat will be gone by the end of tomorrow, and we have no tent and very little kindling. If we don't get those soon we'll die in the snow that could strike any day." He looked over at Tajar and shrugged. "We don't have any choice."

Tajar shrugged back.

"Unfortunately Alam is right," he said.

"Right about what?" asked Clarisai. "You are talking in riddles."

"Astaevka," they replied in unison.

"As-what?" asked Clarisai.

"Ass-taev-ka," Alam repeated. "It's the clan that holds the land just north of The Trail where it reaches the mountains. They are a strong clan and will have plenty of food and shelter for us to barter for."

"They are also between us and the mountain pass anyway, so finding them will be easy," Tajar added. "Unfortunately, the clan we come from has a long history of exchanging raids with them."

"So they may not want to trade with us," said Alam.

"And there is the small matter that Alam defeated their chief's son in wrestling at the Clanmeet three years ago," said Tajar.

"I don't think that will be an issue," frowned Alam. "Three years ago was a long time ago."

"You think Rustam is the kind of gentle, noble soul that would forget and forgive being humiliated in front of hundreds of people?"

Alam did not answer.

"Me neither," laughed Tajar as he kicked his heels into his sturdy little horse's flanks and set off towards the Astaevka lands.

***

Two days later they met a party of ten mounted warriors waiting for them in a line. Tajar held up his hand to hail them and steered his mare towards them. A young, big-boned warrior detached himself from the line and walked his horse forward to meet them.

"Greetings Rustam!" shouted Tajar.

Rustam frowned at Tajar. "You look familiar."

"When talking to Rustam," Tajar whispered to his companions, "use very small words."

"Shut up," Alam muttered out of the side of his mouth.

When Rustam's eyes fell upon Alam they widened in surprise.

"You! What are you doing here?" he demanded.

"We have come to be of service to your clan," said Alam.

"Have we?" muttered Tajar.

"Shut up," Alam repeated in whisper.

Rustam thrust a hand into the air with fingers splayed. Instantly the warriors behind him fitted arrows to their bows and aimed them at the intruders.

"You have entered Astaevka lands without consent! Hand over your weapons or you will be slain on the spot!"

"I don't think he has forgiven you yet," whispered Tajar.

Alam ignored him. "I did not know that it had become the custom of the Astaevka clan to take peaceful travelers as prisoners. Is that what your father has decreed?"

"No," conceded Rustam as he drew closer and his warriors surrounded the travelers.

"Are you afraid that the three of us," he indicated himself, Tajar and Gretch, "as well as an unarmed woman," he pointed to Clarrisai, "are a threat to your men?"

"Of course not..."

"Then can I suggest a compromise that will make you happy, and less afraid that we will kill your men?" Alam smiled.

Rustam frowned. "What is it?"

"You simply surround us, so we can't escape, and lead us into your camp with whoever is your bravest warrior at the head of the group. To be honest, we would be pretty stupid to attack you seeing how you outnumber us."

Rustam thought for a few seconds and then nodded his head. "I accept your idea with one change. She," he pointed to Clarisai, "will ride at the front of my horse with a dagger at her throat." He pointed to two of his men who moved over and grabbed Clarisai.

"No deal," said Alam as he grabbed his axe. Tajar fitted an arrow to his bow.

"It's fine," said Clarisai. "I will ride with him."

The two Astaevka warriors roughly picked her up and dumped her in front of Rustam who put his arm with the reins around her waist and yanked her towards him.

"You're an Evara aren't you?" he held a knife towards her neck.

"Yes."

"Well isn't this a special day?" he leered. "We haven't had one of your kind in our lands for many years."

------------

Comments and votes are appreciated.

Y V Qualls