Chapter 18.1 - Language

"Stop!" Tajar came to a halt. He had been leading them by touch through the narrow, winding passageways. Alam was blindly following the sound of Tajar's breathing and footfalls and was utterly lost. If not for the chainmail shirt he wore his elbows would have been scratched raw from all the times he had brushed against the rough walls. Clarisai's dangling feet had scraped against the walls plenty of times, but at least the rest of her was safe from harm in Alam's arms.

He lowered Clarisai to the ground behind Tajar and took a moment to catch his breath. Even though she was short and slight it was still hard work carrying her.

"Why are we stopping?" he asked between sucking in lungfuls of air.

"Shhh!" Tajar whispered. "Can't you see the light up ahead?"

Alam squinted into the blackness.

"No."

"Try moving your eyes to the side, without moving your head. Sapphire's fire may have ruined your night sight. It's easier to see dim light out of your peripheral vision."

Alam followed his instructions.

"Huh! You're right, I can see dim light up ahead on the wall of the corridor," Alam whispered.

"You can learn a lot from me," Tajar said.

"But not nearly as much as you think," Alam replied.

"Hey," Tajar said with a question in his voice, "why does she keep blacking out all the time?"

"It's not all the time," Alam felt himself getting defensive. "It's just been twice."

"But it's always when we need her."

"I can't argue with that," Alam nodded even though Tajar could not see him.

"So what's the plan?" Tajar asked.

"We get out of here and go home," Alam said.

"Yes, I know that part. I mean what's the plan about the light up ahead? Light comes from fire, and fire comes from either dargu or dragons. I'm not keen on meeting either right now."

"But we haven't heard anything so it's unlikely to be Sapphire or a bunch of dargu," Alam pointed out.

"True."

"So let's quietly find the light and see what's there. Fire can mean dragons and dargu, but it can also mean food and light. I wouldn't mind having a way to see where we're going. Maybe we can make some torches."

"Fine. Pick up the fainting princess and let's go," Tajar said.

"How about you carry her for a while?"

"Good idea," he whispered. "I wouldn't mind being close to that nice waist of hers. And she'll probably want to thank whoever is carrying her when she wakes up."

"Actually," Alam said before Tajar could lift her, "I'm feeling better now. I think I can carry her."

"I thought so," Tajar said. Alam did not need light to know he was smiling.

They crept towards the light until they were ten paces away from its source: an open doorway with firelight flickering from inside. Smoke and the smell of meat were rolling out of it.

"What's that noise?" Alam asked in the barest of whispers. A strange, creaking sound was also coming from the doorway

Tajar leaned towards Alam's ear. "Singing, I think. One dargu. Maybe more."

Tajar slowly, quietly, moved forward.

Alam followed, but at a distance. Tajar reached the doorway, knelt lower and peered into the room. He held up one finger. Alam nodded.