i

I first met him when I was 5 years old. It was Christmas back then; we celebrated with my grandparents in the city. It was snowing that day. I remember walking with my yaya to the playground. There, I just stood and watched children around my age play around the snow.

At that time, I didn't understand what's so fun about the snow. I mean, it's so cold and you could get sick from it. And besides, who knows what the snow contains. Is snow even clean?

"Stay here, baby. Yaya is just going to buy hot cocoa for you," my yaya said as she sat me down a park bench.

I just nodded and continued observing my surroundings. The kids continued on making snow angels, making snowmen and having snowball fights.

"Annyeong," a foreign voice said. I looked beside me and saw a man around his twenties sitting beside me. He has cat-like eyes, styled light brown hair, light skin, and a welcoming smile. Oddly enough, his cheeks remind me of a chipmunk. I suddenly remembered the time my parents took me to China to visit a distant relative. This man... reminds me of a baozi my cousin offered me.

"Why aren't you playing with the others?" he asked, "Aren't you lonely?"

"Pardon me, ajhussi. But it doesn't concern you that I'm not playing with the others. My yaya told me to stay here while she's buying us drinks. Besides, I don't see why I need to play in the snow when I know that I'll get sick later - well, assuming if I did decide to play in the snow."

The man frowned and blinked at me twice. His eyebrows furrowed as he looked away from me. It was silent for a few minutes until I heard a tinkling sound. I looked beside me and saw the man laughing. What was so funny?

"Aish jinja, you're a smart one aren't you?" he giggled as he ruffled my hair, "There's no harm in doing new things, kid. It's Christmas time! And you can only enjoy the snow once a year! Enjoy it while you can. Having fun besides of the fact that it has consequences can serve as a happy memory in the future. You can look back and think "Wahhh, I had fun that time" or "Wah, I was so stupid." It's not about the consequences all the time, it's about the lessons you could learn from it and the memories you create from it."

Ahjussi poked my nose and said, "I'll see you around, Areum Kim."

That was the first time I saw him. After that day, I've always wondered. How'd he know my name?