The Seahorse Safe Clean Up

I took a stroll along the beach around seven-fifteen this morning thinking about all that has happened recently. I thought long and hard too. I thought about the terrible destruction of Hurricane Linda that hit North Carolina this past Friday. I finally came back to reality, for I was hurting my own feelings while thinking so deeply. I stopped. I saw lots of trash all along the shore and in the water of the beach. What a mess, I thought. I continue walking in anger. How can you turn your home into a trash dump like this? What is wrong with human nature. I thought.

In the distance, I saw something moving rapidly as if it were struggling. I quickly approach it. It was a seahorse. It's a pale pink colored seahorse with small blotches of blood on its belly and face. It's caught in a plastic ring that soda cans come in, and had a cigarette butt halfway down his throat. I knew it didn't have much time to live if that butt stayed in there any longer. There wasn't any time to call animal rescue, so I had to act fast. I was able to get the plastic rings off with no difficulty, but the butt wouldn't be as simple. I looked for something thin enough to use as tweezers, but there wasn't anything but trash and plastic. The seahorse began to squeal. I panicked. "Hang tight little one," I whispered. I pounded on my head trying to think. "Think. Think. THINK!" I said in infuriating.

I felt something hard in my hair as I pounded harshly on my head. I slowly pulled it out hoping I hadn't cut myself with it. "A bobby pin!" I said cheerfully. I pulled the pin out of my hair, and carefully used the open end of the pin to take out the cigarette butt out of the seahorses mouth. The seahorse twitched, but I didn't stop. "Hang in there bud," I whispered. After I quickly, but gently removed the butt from the seahorse's body, I called animal rescue so the seahorse can get checked for any other injuries.

My story made the news. I was a local hero. The glory and fame felt nice, but there was still one more job that needed to be done. The clean up of the ocean. I named it, The Seahorse Safe Clean Up of 1967.