The Original ImageWorks

The original ImageWorks: The What-If Labs, "the creative playground of the future!" at EPCOT's Imagination Pavilion was opened in October 1982 and closed 16 years later in 1998. The place is still there, first floor actually being used as the new ImageWorks, while the second floor is patrolled and deserted.

According to Wikipedia these rides were in the original ImageWorks:

Dreamfinder's School of Drama-

Using a bluescreen, guests put themselves into a movie under the direction of Dreamfinder. You had 3 choices Western (Daring Deputies and the Return of Sagebrush Sam), Fantasy (Enchanted Travelers - Wily Wizard the Cranky King), or a Science Fiction (Acrobatic Astronauts in Galactic Getaway).

Pin Screens -

Which was a massive pin table(s).

Stepping Tones -

Disney Guests would create music by stepping on various colored panels.

Figment's Coloring Book - Disney Guests would color images featuring Figment and Dreamfinder using electric "paintbrush guns".

Rainbow Corridor -

A large tunnel that featured bright colored lights that followed the guests as they went through, each guest getting a different bright color.

Electronic Philharmonic -

By the usage of sensors, guests could conduct an orchestra. Just like Mickey (well Donald takes over) in Mickey's Philharmagic, featured in Disney's Magic Kingdom.

Kaleidoscopes -

Huge kaleidoscopes that could be controlled by the guest.

Vibrating Mirrors -

An effect that made the Disney Guests reflection warp like a funhouse mirror.

Voice Activated Lumia -

A 6-foot-diameter (1.8 m) sphere that would respond with light effects to the Disney Guest's voice or sounds.

Bubble Projectors -

In the small pyramid, bubbles were projected on circular screens under the guests control. When they overlapped they would create new bright colors.

On the first floor, there is a Figment and Dreamfinder ride (now just Figment)along with a gift shop and several of the hands-on activities from the second floor.

Many people were mad-as-heck that Dreamfinder is no longer there but, that story is for another time.

Now what's scary, abandoned, or extra-ordinary about the old ImageWorks?

The new gutted version, of course!

I shall tell you how to get to the second floor of ImageWorks, BUT be warned that there are guards patrolling 24/7.

After exiting the ride, go into the gift shop. You'll see an elevator off to one side. The elevator was used to go to the second floor, it's locked up tight now. But as they say, if there's a will then there's another way!

There are stairs that lead up to it that is unblocked and unlocked. The only problem is that the Cast Member or CM can see the stairs from the cash register. So if you don't go during a busy day, you won't go at all.

When you head up the stairs, a creepy and abandoned sight awaits you.

Piles of wood, half painted black walls, cords sticking up from the floor, nails everywhere, an erie feeling, the Rainbow Corridor is no longer bright but white, among other things.

QUESTION: Is ImageWorks real and can I go there?

THE FACTS: ImageWorks is still there and still creepy, guarded but not so much.

WHAT I THINK: I've been there. It's true. As have others.

WARNING: As I always do with dangerous and heavily (not so much for this one) guarded abandoned and creepy attractions/hotels/parks I am going to warn you about visiting these areas since they are guarded and you can be arrested and banned from any Disney Park forever. So abide by Disney rules. Please.