Personal Soldier (Nathan Sykes Fanfic) - Ch.19

We pulled into a petrol station, finally stopping after almost a 4 hour drive. I turned off the engine, pulling out the keys and stepping out of the car, stretching once I was no longer confined. “My ass is dead” I mused. “Thanks for the info..” Nathan stood against the car, filling it with petrol, an eyebrow raised. I glared at him, which caused him to chuckle. “I'm taking over Kat, just letting you know” He gestured to the car, he meant he was gonna drive. “Any point in trying to argue” I huffed and leaned on the car next to him. He simply shook his head and finished filling the car with fuel.

We strolled into the shop, pretty much empty except for the cashier and a woman and a baby, who finished at the till as we walked in. “Drink?” Nathan pointed to the refrigerator he was walking towards. “Mmm ... yeah, just water.” He nodded. His hood was pulled over his head and covered over the top of his eyes, trying his best to hide the cut on his face, which was still surrounded by dry blood. I walked up to whisper to him, “The dude at the till is gonna think you're trying to rob the place, with you looking like that....” I took the bottles from his hands and stepped up to pay, Nathan staying beside me. I handed over the cash, the mans eyes fixed on Nathan, looking skeptical, he did honestly look a little rough.

“Ka-” Nath cleared his throat from behind me. “S-Sophia” Luckily he remembered not to use my real name. I looked at him, the cashier going into the back room seeing as there was no other customers, he was stood at the end of the counter holding an envelope. “What are you doing?” I hissed. He simply showed me the front of the envelope, Nathan Sykes was scrawled across it in rough black lettering. “I don't know who you are, but I don't need any trouble right? .... no more, get out and you won't get hurt” The cashier stood pointing a gun towards us, hands steady, he was tough. Nathan and I held our hands up showing our defencelessness. “Out, Get Out, I don't want any more of you in here, Out” He yelled and we were more than happy to get out of the place. I hopped this time into the passenger seat, Nathan throwing the envelope on my lap as he sped off back onto the street.

“What the fuck was that, Kat?” He said, keeping his hands tightly on the wheel and increasing his speed once he reached a traffic free stretch of road. “Calm down” I replied, tearing the envelope apart. A crumpled piece of paper was inside and there was no second guess as to who it was from. Black, ink letters were written messily on the page. The note read;

'WE'RE A STEP AHEAD, WAITING FOR YOU. YOUR TRUST SHOULD BE SAVED,

THERE'S NO ONE BUT YOU. ALONE, HELPLESS, SO CLOSE TO THE END'

“Shit” I hissed angrily. “They know what we're doing Kat, before we do, how the hell is that possible? We could have stopped anywhere but they knew it was going to be here? Fucking-” He banged his fist against the dash, one hand left controling the cars direction. “Nath, stop the car, stop it somewhere ... now .... before you fecking kill us” He pulled in after a minute or two. Vehicles zipped past us on the street next to us, them being the only noise present, other than out breathing. Nathan hit his hands against the wheel and then slumped back into the seat, pulling the front of his hair with his fingers.

I looked at him as I waited for him to calm down, no good would come of talking now. “Kat-” He whispered, leaning his head back and leaving his eyes to close. “Hmm?” “-I'm dead” He looked at me, unlike what I was expecting, he didn't look scared, but determined. I shook my head furiously. “No you're not... not even close...” His eyes drifted away from me. I punched his arm. “You're an idiot if you honestly think I'd let you die” I sighed as he refused to listen to me. “I'm calling this in...” I huffed and called the agency...

* * * * * *

“Up ... Nathan get up .... out of the way” I said, ushering Nathan out of his seat. I can't believe I never thought of it ... How we'd been found so easily ... It's not like they had some kind of psychic powers, so clearly they could hear us. Every plan we made, they knew about it. Not any more, this would stop. Underneath the driver's seat, I saw a red blinking light. It was tiny, unnoticable to anyone, hidden. I pulled the duct tape which held in place a small microphone. I couldn't help but feel like we'd won something, a sense of safety and security washed over me immediately. I smirked, “You think you're so smart .... think you've got us scared with you're games?...” I whispered angrily into the mic, finding joy in the fact we'd finally got them where we wanted them for once. “-you believe what you want, but you won't win, never...” I threw it on the ground on crushed it with my foot. I smiled smugly.