Chapter 5

On Monday, I wake up in an empty house yet again. Tony hadn't even checked in on me in days and my mood was easily the worst it's ever been. He exposed me to Peter and the look on his face broke my heart. I didn't realize how much it would hurt to disappoint Peter. It was a whirlwind of a night, we kissed and it was amazing, then we almost died and now he probably hates me.

I walk to my locker and notice Peter and Ned down the hallway. I quickly put my books into my locker and head towards the two boys. Peter ignored my texts the entire weekend so I was hoping to get to talk to him in person today. 

"Peter!" I call from down the hallway. Peter glances up at me and shuts his locker, walking away as I walk up to them. I frown, feeling my heart sink, knowing I was the reason for his mood.

"Is he okay?" I ask, turning to Ned.

"I don't know, Mia." He says, not looking at me. I could feel my throat get tight when I realize Ned's also upset with me.

"You too? Did Peter tell you?" I whisper, not trusting my voice to go any higher.

"We thought you actually liked us." He admits sadly.

"Ned, I do! I really do. This wasn't just a job. It never was, I promise. You guys are my best friends." I say desperately. Ned looks at me before turning and going the way Peter went down the hallway.

I wiped away a single tear as I walk down the hallway to Chemistry, unfortunately a class with Peter. I decide to go into the bathroom and I splash some cold water on my puffy face. Am I overreacting?

Peter and Ned are the first friends my age that I've had since second grade. They welcomed me with open arms  and treated me as if I'd been part of their group for years. It was never a job to me, sure, the reason I got to go to Midtown was because Tony sent me to keep an eye on him. But honestly, if I didn't like Peter, I would've found other people to befriend and then keep an eye on him from a distance.

My friendship with them is real, my feelings for Peter are real and the fact that they don't believe me, kills me inside.

I walk into chemistry and sit next to Peter and he doesn't acknowledge my existence. The silence between us is deafening. We sit in silence for the remainder of the class and a second before the bell rang, I ripped a piece of paper from my notebook and wrote "You were never just a job to me."and then I grabbed my things and left the classroom. I didn't care if Peter didn't want to be friends, but he needed to know that I did.

I don't see Peter for the rest of the day and when I walk into the cafeteria, panic builds up as I make my way over to my table. Peter and Ned are having a heated conversation and as I approach the table they come to an abrupt stop. I sit down and say hello to them.

They glance at me and look back down at their food. Are they serious right now? We sit in silence for ten minutes before I've had enough and slam my palms against the table, getting their attention.

"Fuck this." I spit, standing up. "I am not sitting here any more because it is very clear you both do not want me here." I mutter before grabbing my things and walking away.

"You two are idiots." I hear MJ tell them as I make my way out of the cafeteria.

I'm looking down trying to hide my tears when I crash into someone, their hand gripping my arm to steady me and when I look up, I'm surprised to see Flash standing there with a concerned look.

"You okay?" He asks, noticing the tears in my eyes. I nod, knowing my voice would crack if I attempted to speak. "Why don't you come sit with me and Liz?" he offers politely. I accept thankfully and head over to their table with Flash.

"Oh no! Mia, what's wrong?" Liz asks as I approach the table. I explain that I wasn't on good terms with Peter or Ned and no one at the table looks surprised.

"Peter's been acting really weird lately, I wouldn't take it personal." Liz reasons.

"Try to focus on nationals to take your mind off them." Liz suggests.

"I still can't believe Parker isn't coming." Flash admits.

-

After school I decide to go to a classroom and study for decathlon. I'm trying to focus when I see Ned standing outside the classroom. I knock on the window and he jumps.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"N-nothing." he says quickly.

"Oh." I respond.

"Yeah. You good?" he asks.

"Eh." I answer.

I had no idea what Ned and Peter were actually up to.

And I definitely had no idea how greatly it would effect me over the next few days.