Chapter 8

I sit in the very front of the bus with Mr. Harrington, away from everyone else, with my knees pulled to my chest and my hood over my head. My hands won't stop shaking and my breathing's still unsteady and I just can't seem to shake the feeling of free falling in the elevator.

The panic that I felt before Peter's web attached to my hand was absolutely terrifying and I can't get it out of my head. I already know this is going to set me back in handling my anxiety, bringing me back to the little girl who hid in the training room at the Avengers tower, laying on the floor and unable to breathe.

Mr. Harrington places a comforting hand on my shoulder for the entire bus ride, as we all travel back to New York in absolute silence. What just occurred didn't feel real, and maybe if no one said anything about it, we could all just forget it happened.

 But that unfortunately, is not how life works.

My phone buzzes in my pocket for what feels like the hundredth time, but I don't trust my trembling fingers to be capable of sending a text. Also, my brain was so jumbled from the entire day I'm not sure I'd even remember how to spell any words to type back a response.

I try to go to sleep but every time I close my eyes, I see the elevator falling around me and Peter pulling on his web as he saved me from falling. My eyes snap open and I lean my head against the window, staring blankly as the trees go by for the duration of the ride.

My heart begins to pound and tears prick my eyes when I see Happy already waiting for me in the school parking lot with the other worried parents. Of course Tony isn't here. He never is.

Mr. Harrington leads me off the bus and the rest of the students follow, going their separate ways to reunite with their loved ones.

I don't say anything as I walk towards Happy and the second he wraps his arms around me I break down, sobbing against his chest. Mr. Harrington explains what happened in a hushed tone, Happy's arms squeezing me even tighter when Mr. Harrington mentions that it was Spider-man who came to my rescue. Mr. Harrington walks away and Happy continues to hold me, but I can tell he's staring at Peter.

I don't notice the tear that falls down Happy's cheek as he opens the car door for me.

"Let's get you home." He whispers before gently closing the door and climbing into the passenger seat.

Home.

Was Stark Tower even home anymore? It used to be.

Tony used to always be around, Steve and Sam used to always play video games with me.

Natasha and Wanda always making time to gossip with me.

But after the Avengers disbanded, and Steve and half the avengers became war criminals, it was just me and Tony in the house. Vision was around sometimes but it wasn't the same as having my other friends. And Tony was constantly travelling.

Happy dropped me off at home, "Call me if you need me, Mia. Are you sure you don't want me to stay?" he asks, concerned.

"I'll be okay, I always am." I lie, plastering a fake smile on my face. It was times like this I really missed having the other Avengers around... maybe it was their super human abilities, but they could always see through my bullshit and knew when I really wasn't okay.

I make my way to the residence floor of Stark Tower and drop my backpack the second I walk into the living room. I walk over to the fridge and pour myself a glass of water but my trembling hands cause me to spill most of it and that tiny spill was the spark for my break down.

My back hits the wall as I step away from the counter and I just slide down the wall until I'm sitting, hugging my knees and sobbing uncontrollably. I gasp as I try to get more oxygen, the hysterical sobs making it difficult to breathe.