Chapter 3: Not What I Was Expecting

Start from the beginning

He chuckles softly. "It'll happen to you too before the end of initiation. Speaking of which: I can't tell you guys what is going to happen. It's against the rules. Dauntless may not have a lot of them, but the ones we do have we listen to. Be careful, and be smart." And with that, he nods at Tris and pats my arm before heading on his way.

"I wonder what he meant." She says out loud, her voice trailing off.

I shake it off, and turn to her. I place a knowing look on my face. "I saw that."

She looks startled. "Saw what?"

"That. The look. You're into my brother."

She blanches. She seems afraid for some reason, and I laugh quietly. "Here, let's go get changed. I'm hungry anyways."

As we walk back into the room, I see it's almost full. There's about 20 beds in total, but they're more like cots with sheets than anything. Tris walks over to what I assume is hers, and sits on the edge where she starts lacing up a pair of boots. It's then I notice she's no longer wearing the Abnegation clothing.

"Tris, you look really good." I tell her once I've changed into my own official Dauntless clothing.

She smiles. "Thanks. You do too. Black is a good color on you. This is your bed by the way." She says, and tilts her head in the direction of the bed beside her. Christina and Will are on her other side.

"Whose bed-" I begin to say, but am cut off.

"It's mine. Hi. My name is Al." The guy from the roof introduces himself. He's even taller in person.

"Oh, uh, hi. My name is-"

"Crystal. Yeah. You're kind of the buzz around here. Only our first day and you're already famous!" He says, and sits down on his bed. He's wearing the black shirt and a pair of black jeans.

I begin messing with my hair, pulling it up into a high pony tail. "Yeah, why is that?"

"You're the first jumper. According to the Dauntless born that's a major thing here. It's basically a prediction of who the bravest is. It certainly won't be me, that's for sure!"

I frown. "Why not? I didn't think I would get a title or anything, I just didn't like that Eric guy singling people out." I tug on my hair, making sure it's nice and tight. Even in a pony tail, it goes down to my shoulder blades.

"Well, either way, until something else happens to someone else, you're the cats meow around here."

Christina chokes. Tris and I turn to her, shocked. Will walks over to her quickly and pats her on the back. "Are you ok?" He asks worriedly.

Once she gets herself under control, she starts laughing. This just makes me even more confused. "What?"

"Did you really just say, 'cats meow'? Who even says that anymore?" She gets out, and then starts laughing again.

I scoff, and then turn back to Al. He's blushing a little bit. "C'mon. I'm hungry." I state, and then follow the rest of them of the small room into the hallway.

A couple of minutes later, we reach the dining hall. It's massive. There are multiple tables throughout the room, and a large corner was full of counters lined with food. I guess it's basically a buffet here everyday.

Since it's past 6 o'clock, it must be dinner time. We walk over to the food and grab trays, where I put some grapes, a banana, and something brown with bread covering it on my plate. The others get their food, and I look around for a table.

I see Four sitting on the end of a table. The space across from him is completely empty, and there's an empty seat beside him. The only problem is that Eric is on the other side of the empty seat, and the leaders are beside him.