Chapter 28: Revelations

You guys are going to hate me. That's all I have to say.

~Caruscus

------------------------------------------------------

I desperately wanted to go check in on Eric before we went to the cafeteria, but Hendricks dragged me away before I could do so. Now we're standing on the landing that overlooks the inhabitants currently gathered in the room. It's packed but more and more people continue to filter in.

"We will wait until 8:00 exactly and then we will begin." Hendricks instructs us, looking at the watch on his wrist. We nod in affirmation. The clock on the wall says 7:54 so that gives people a few more minutes to come here.

A hand lands lightly on my shoulder. I turn around and look at Lauren. Her face is smiling at me but I can see the worry clearly displayed in her eyes. "I know this is a lot that we're asking of you, but we all believe you can do this. You're what we need in order to change."

I feel slightly like vomiting from all the nerves currently jumping around in my stomach, but her words do reassure me a little bit. I give her a tight lipped smile and turn back around. The voices in the cafeteria mix and mingle, creating a single roar that floods the room. There's so much life here in this one area it's incredible.

"Alright," Hendricks says before clapping his hands together, "it's show time." He steps forward to the banister along the landing and places two fingers in his mouth before letting out a loud whistle. Silence kills the roar that once filled the room, all heads turning to look up at us. Some people are determined, others confused, but most just look downright frightened. I spot Tris and Tobias standing by the doors, both of them sending me positive looks.

"Attention members of Dauntless," Hendricks starts, his voice bouncing off the walls, "usually we don't call meetings like this, do we?" People grumble in response. He holds his hand up until it's silent once more. "I know you all must be wondering what it is that happened yesterday. To be completely honest with you all: we aren't entirely sure."

Now voices rise in volume, yelling and screaming. Hendricks whistles again, gaining the attention of the people. Ange shoves me forward until I'm standing beside Hendricks. I send her a panicked look over my shoulder but she just smiles at me. Hendricks places his large hand on my shoulder.

"I would like to introduce to you Crystal Eaton, an initiate-turned member, and also you're newest leader of Dauntless."

Silence.

"We were planning on keeping it secret for a while, but given recent events, figured it would be a good time to introduce her." Hendricks removes his hand and starts clapping. Slowly other people join in and clap, but one man speaks up which causes them to stop.

"What the hell does she have to do with us almost killing a bunch of people?" The man appears to be in his late 30's, with brown hair and thick muscles. He's covered in tattoo's and doesn't look like someone you would want to mess with.

"I'm glad you asked." Hendricks responds calmly. He turns to me and nods his head. "Tell them."

"Everything?" I ask quietly so they can't hear me.

"Everything."

I let out a large sigh through my nose and close my eyes, turning and gripping the banister with my hands tightly. I inhale deeply and open my eyes, looking down at the hundreds of eyes currently staring at me. I start to feel my breath catch in my throat but just one glance at Tobias staring confidently at me and I feel myself relax just enough.