After Effect

I sat next to Tobias as he waited for his name to be called. Jeanine Matthews - the faction leader of Erudite - was the one calling the 16-year-old's to the stage after giving the choosing ceremony speech. I tuned it out knowing this would be the last time in two years that I would see my big brother. 

I knew he would pick to transfer from our faction just after our first beating since mama died. I was dreading being alone with Marcus, but I was sure I could handle another two years before leaving myself and following my brother. 

I held his hand tightly, knowing he left the blue sculpture Mama gave him on his dresser. This too told me he was transferring factions. I thought back to earlier that day as I squeezed his hand harder. 

"Tobias, you know what to choose," Marcus said looking sternly to him. I had stopped calling him Papa the night after mama died, I just didn't care anymore. He nodded and went back to eating his plain oatmeal.

He was referring to staying in Abnegation. He wanted Tobias to stay in Abnegation, here with him. It was not an option, he needed to leave and I was going to be the one to convince him to free himself. 

Marcus left the room, "Don't listen to him, choose wherever you want to go." I saw him flick his eyes to me. Before he could even open his mouth to protest I continued, "Remember our pact? I will follow you whatever faction you decide to choose. Don't worry about me, I can handle him for two years alone. He can't kill me without it becoming suspicious."

I got up from my chair and ran to my room quickly pulling the necklace that mama gave me out of my drawer and running down the stairs again.

The necklace was a tiny heart-shaped locket with a picture of me and Tobi smiling the day before mama died. I was standing on my tippy-toes and wrapping my arms around his neck in a hug. We both had big smiles on our face for the last time I place it in his hand and urge him...

"Eaton, Tobias." She calls in a dry voice waking me from my daydream. "Don't forget me, Tobi," I say sadly. He gives my hand one last squeeze and makes his way towards the bowls.

Water for Erudite. Grey stones for Abnegation. Glass for Candor. Burning coals for Dauntless. Soil for Amity. All stained by the blood of people going before him. Soon his blood, my blood, will join one. 

He is handed a knife by an Abnegation man. He uses it to make a small cut in the palm of his dominant hand. Looking between the bowls, I see he is trying to make his mind up with where he wants to go. I pray that he doesn't stay. I pray that he leaves.

He deserves to be free and have a happy life.

He doesn't look towards me once as he tries to make up his decision. I know it would only make it harder for him to leave if he did. 

For a second, it looks like he was going to choose Abnegation before he hesitated and moved his hand. His blood drops into the sizzling coals of Dauntless. I listen as they go wild and I feel nothing but proud for my brother. "Dauntless," Jeanine says and he walks towards his new faction. Relief floods through my chest for my brother. I guess I was heading to Dauntless. 

The ceremony ends and the Dauntless stand to leave. Across the room, I shout "Remember me, Tobi!" I get strange looks from everyone in the room. It doesn't stop me from my none-Abnegation outburst. He nods his head in my direction with a grave and sad look on his face. He knows what I know.

It will only get worse for me.  

Moving the chairs one by one, I dread the moment I will have to go home with Marcus, there is no chance of me getting out of this unscathed. Not after my outburst anyways and the implication that I will be following him.