Chapter Nineteen: Don't Forget

Start from the beginning

I don't know when exactly I started drinking, it just relaxed me back when things were getting very stressful in the beginning of high school. Before I was as well known or well liked as I am now. But then I slowly started coming out of my shell, going to parties, gaining some confidence. And it was there where this entire thing snowballed. Before, Kiara was my only friend since the second grade. We were inseperable, we talked to each other almost every day until high school, that was when I felt the need to change. And we lost touch, only seeing one another in passing in the hallways. Well until today. 

I knocked back some more of the drink and dabbed my lips with a napkin, finally ready to go into the house. I popped a mint in my mouth and hopped out of the car enjoying the slight buzz I was feeling. Usually by the time I came home it was usually empty so  I properly drink myself into oblivon in peace, and if there was no booze around (which is rare) I would pratice the piano. But, solititude wasn't something I really deserved today evidently. High pitched screams filled the hallway as soon as I walked in, immediately throwing me off. I rushed into the living room to see Ian holding one of nieces who was screaming to the top of her lungs. 

I rolled my eyes and plucked her from his arms cooing at her and bouncing her a bit on my hip. And she slowly calmed down focusing more on yanking at my hair than wailing in my arms. My brother sighed and fell backwards on the couch.

"What the heck is she doing her?" I stage whispered to him. His eyes blinked open automatically and flashed me a sardonic look.

"Her mom is going out of town for a funeral and couldn't afford a babysitter, so she just plopped her off on me!" He said anxiously. I shook my head and grabbed on of the pacifiers from a plastic been and told him to rinse it off. 

"But her mom is trying wean her off of them..." He whined. I scoffed and looked squarely at him thinking 'Weekend vists sure as hell, do not make you a father, not in the slightest'. The little girl on the floor in front of her toys while I went to disinfect the pacifier.

"I think her mom will live without knowing she was relaxed with a pacifier over the weekend, you are her parent too, Ian." And I walked away to hunt down the ingredients. Life just keeps getting better and better.

                                                                       *   *   *   *   *   *   *

It was a couple hours before April went down for her nap and that would finally give me chance to get dressed for this soon-to-be trainwreck of a dinner. I put my hair in a bun with side swept bangs and put on a long-sleeved,royal blue, lace dress with a key-hole cut out in the back. I put on my black low peep-toe heels on and headed down stairs. My father bustled in the house obviously unaware that April was sound asleep in the next room. 

"Dad, shhh..." I whispered to him as I motioned towards the play pen set up in the living room. He looked and smiled a bit and gestured towards the sitting room.

"Is that young man of yours still coming over for dinner tonight?" I nodded my head and looked at the clock, it was only 6:30pm. 

"I told him to be here at 6:45pm, so we're still in the clear." He nodded and cleared his throat looking for his scotch glass. 

"Here," I said handing it to him, expecting his rountine. He muttered his thanks and sent me away to be on the look out for my 'friend'. I went into the kitchen to see the chefs hard at work preparing a lavish, yet simple home-cooked meal filled with baked chicken, collard greens, and cornbread with the corn actually in it, my favorite. I savored the smells as I sauntered over to see my brother on the couch taking a little nap of his own. I took out my phone and snap a picture of him, zooming in on the door trailing down his cheek. That will  be my ticket out of the house one day.