Chapter Six; Stay

The next day, I woke up to my arms draped over a warm body and a head on my chest. I shifted slightly to see who it was. My eyes damn near popped out of their sockets when I realized who it was. 

Her brown hair was all over my chest, must have come out of the ponytail while she was sleep. Her mouth was slightly ajar, but she didn't snore. And her face looked relaxed. Shyla was sleeping on my chest. 

Let me repeat that for you all. Shyla... is SLEEPING on my chest. 

This is something I never thought would happen. And I realize that we both might've fallen asleep after a while. And I'm surprised my mother didn't come down here and curse the both of us out. 

But the question is, how did we end up like this? I remember talking to her, then we were on our way upstairs but... how did we end up back in my room?

We weren't naked, which is great because I rather not mess up anything with her. But there was no real explanation as to why or how we ended up back down in my bed. 

I tried to think of many reasons as to why we ended up like this but my thoughts were quickly blown apart as I felt her stirring on my chest. I looked back down at her, watching as she stretched slightly, then froze.

"Noah?" she whispered. 

"Yeah?" I whispered back, not wanting to speak up louder. 

"We didn't do anything... did we?" 

"I don't think so." I responded back.  As she was about to say something, she sat up abruptly. I watched as she lurched forward for a second before getting out of my bed and running to the bathroom. I furrowed my eyebrows but decided quickly to follow her. 

As I got closer to the bathroom, I could hear her gagging and then hearing as stuff, more than likely her vomit, as it hit the toilet water. I quickly made my way behind her. Seeing as she was throwing up, just as I  thought, I pulled her hair back. 

She continued to throw up for about another minute or so. When she was done, she flushed the toilet and sat back on her knees. I watched her as she closed her eyes and sighed.

"Do you want some ginger ale or something?" I asked. She opened her eyes and stared at me. She shook her head as she frowned. 

"That isn't going to help." 

"It helps me when I'm sick. That, some good ass soup, and crackers." she smirked, shaking her head again.

"I'm not sick." she whispered.

"But you just threw up." 

"Doesn't mean I'm sick." I stared at her, trying to decipher what she meant. It took me a minute before I finally realized what she meant. 

"You're pregnant?" I asked quietly. We both made eye contact before she nodded. 

"Yeah." she whispered. 

"Is that why she kicked you out?" I asked, hoping to get her to open up a little more. 

"Partially." she bit her lip. "It's also because who the father of the child is." 

"Who is it?" she looked away. 

"My ex-best friend's dad." I raised my eyebrows in shock. I wasn't expecting that. 

"And I kind of understand why she did that but, why is she so mad?" 

"He was her boyfriend." she looked away. 

"You fucked your mother's boyfriend?" I asked, my voice raising a couple of octaves. I was silently judging her, even though I didn't mean to. I know she would hate me to know I judged her. 

"No." she said with a slight hint of an attitude. "He more so fucked me." she mumbled quietly. Almost so quietly that I almost didn't hear her. 

My heart swelled in my chest, making me start to breath uneasy. "He raped you?" She looked back up at me. "Shyla," 

"I don't want to downplay it, but no. I was willing at first but it got too much too fast. I told him to stop... but he didn't and now we're here now."

"Is that why you left?" she nodded slowly. 

"I knew that he wouldn't help me care for the baby. Hell, I don't even want him to help me with the baby." she looked away again. "I had to start working full time, just for this little peanut." I watched as she smiled, more than likely thinking of the future with her child. I mean, I was imagining it. I know that she'd be a great mother. 

"But my mother didn't know that I stopped going to school. When she found out, she kicked me out." 

I didn't know what to say. She looked as if she was going to cry but at the same time, her face was still as stoic as ever. 

"You don't have to say anything, you know?" she spoke up as if she could read my mind or could sense that I was overthinking on what to say to her. 

"You've been through a lot." 

"You don't even know half of what I've been through." she said with a humorless chuckle. "But can we talk about something else. Preferably, if you have an extra toothbrush or something. I need this throw up taste out of my mouth." I nodded before grabbing a toothbrush out of the cabinet and then handed it to her. "Thanks." 

"Your mom seriously thinks you willing had sex with him?" I asked, still shocked. She looked back at me as she put the toothbrush in her mouth, starting to brush her teeth. 

"Can we stop talking about this, please?" she asked, her voice slightly muffled due to the fact that she had the toothbrush in her mouth. 

"Are we ever going to talk about... this?" She didn't answer right away, as she was brushing her teeth. I watched her intently, as she spit the toothpaste into the sink then rinsed the toothbrush off. She looked up at me, in the mirror, sighing. 

"One day. When I feel like my life has stopped going down a spiral or when I've hit rock bottom." 

"Is it because you don't trust me?" I asked. She shook her head. 

"No, not at all." she sighed looking away. "I just... don't want to admit it right now. Like half of the shit that's happened in my life... it's a lot. I just... I don't want to think about it much, but it haunts me and I don't want to scare you away. That's all." I shook my head.

"You'll never scare me away. I'm here to stay."