Chapter Seven

"Nova! Nova! Get up! Get up!" Draco was standing next to my bed poking me. I grabbed my pillow and rolled over, so my back was now to him.

"No" I was having no part of getting up this early. I cracked an eyelid and looked at the clock. 10:24. Decent time, but no. No wake up. I heard Draco sigh and he ripped my blanket off of me.

"Mum made cinnamon rolls"

I sat up immediately. I love food. "Really?" Now that he mentioned it, I can smell cinnamon. We went downstairs and ate.

Note to self: Mrs. Malfoy makes amazing cinnamon rolls.

Mrs. Malfoy then called us into the family room. There was an enormous Christmas tree put up. How did I not notice this? Mrs. Malfoy pushed Draco and I on the love seat and went to retrieve the packages from under the tree. Draco had about 8, one of them from me. I had 5.

Draco opened his first.  His parents gave him a new set of dress robes and I didn't pay enough attention to remember everything else. I gave him a photo (moving of course) of us sitting at the piano together. It starts with us smiling at the camera. Then I rest my head on Draco's shoulder as he looks at the piano keys. Then we kiss. After that it starts over.

My turn. I opened the smallest one first. Before I could tear the paper off completely, an owl smacked into the window. Mr. Malfoy quickly opened the window and the owl flew in and landed in my lap. I untied the letter and small package and placed it on the floor. I didn't recognize the owl...

I continued to open the package I was working on. Turns out it was from Draco. It was a ring with an opal in the middle, surrounded by a black snake. I put it on my right hand's ring finger.

"Thank you, Draco. I love it"

"The snakes represent our patronuses. But I'm sure you figured that out" He gave a small laugh. I picked up a medium-sized package that read:

To: Nova

From: Santa

"I would have gotten you more things but I've known you for about a week. So I’m not sure what you like" Mrs. Malfoy spoke to me. Leave it to her to say her gifts are from Santa. I like her. I opened it and there was a pair of very fancy looking black heels.

"They go with that one there, dear" Mrs. Malfoy pointed to a larger box on the ground. I reached for it and tore the paper off. I took the lid off the box and saw what looked like a mess of fabric. I pulled it out and realized it was a dress. A very pretty dress.

The dress was black. It was tight in the bodice but flowy at the bottom. It was short in the front and long in the back. It had tight, long sleeves. Over the bodice were wisps of silver. The dress was probably the prettiest I have ever seen. But why would Mr. Malfoy get me a dress?

"Mrs. Malfoy, I absolutely love it, but, why?" I asked her.

She smiled and said, "Because, dear, there is going to be a ball this year. Didn't you know? Surely, your Uncle told you."

"Actually, no. I didn't know about the ball. But thank you for telling me" I laughed a little. Mrs. Malfoy took the dress and box from me. She put the dress back in the box and said, "Open the rest of your gifts!"

The second-to-last gift wasn't wrapped, it was in a bag. I tore out the tissue paper and found a Green Day cello book. I was at a loss for words. I've never had my own music book, I either used somebody else's or I listened to a song then played it.

"I heard you playing the cello the other day. You were amazing." Mrs. Malfoy said.

"I agree" Draco said, "Now open that last one. I'm curious"

I bent over and picked up the letter and package. I opened it and it was a ring box. In the ring box were three rings. Two were identical, except for size. The third looked like an engagement ring. It had one large diamond and two smaller diamonds on either side of it. I put the ring box on my knee and put the letter on my lap. I looked at the signature on the bottom. Uncle Sev. Why on Earth would he send me rings? I started reading aloud.

'Dear nova,

I know we haven’t ben on the best terms lately, but I figured you could do well with these. They are your parents' wedding and engagement rings. I don't want them, and it would give you something to remember them by. They were married on October 13. Merry Christmas! I'm sorry and I miss you.

Love,

Uncle Sev.'

"Oh how sweet! May I see, honey?" Mrs. Malfoy held out her hand and I put the ring box in her hand. I could feel my eyes lined with tears. Just because I was holding my parents' wedding rings...

The rest of Christmas passed by uneventfully.

.......

I awoke to the sound of pounding on my door. I got up and opened it. Draco rushed into my room wearing dress robes.

"Nova, listen, in ten minutes there is going to be a Death Eater meeting. You need to stay in here. They can't know you're here or they will either kill you, or bring you downstairs and kill you in front of us. So what I need you to do is stay in here, and not make any noise. Do you understand?" Draco was talking very fast.

"Yes, but how long?" I agreed only because I didn't feel like dying today.

"Probably an hour. I'm going to leave now. Stay here." Draco turned around and rushed out of my room. I heard him lock the door from the outside. Are you kidding me Draco? You really think I would risk my life? He can be so stupid. I crawled back into bed and fell asleep.

---------------------------------

For the rest of the break, almost nothing happened. Here's what did, though:

-New Year's Eve

-Draco and I kissed at midnight

-Mr. Malfoy yelled at me again

That's it. Today is our third day back at Hogwarts and it is worse than before I left. I've already started studying for O.W.L.s, though I don't know why. Draco has needed help in Defense Against the Dark Arts so I've been helping him. Draco and I haven't been together as much as we were before break... I'm not too sure why.