3

Samantha

I read somewhere that the universe must have balance—good with the bad, joy with sorrow, life with death. It sounds rational to me, but where do dreams fall? My dreams tell me things—sometimes good, sometimes bad. Sometimes, the past is revealed, but it can be the present or future, just as easily. Supposedly, they are part of my fae or fairy nature taking hold. That's still up for debate, but wherever they come from, they won't be ignored.

So, here I am, once again—my familiar dream forest—familiar yet as foreign and hostile as another planet. It's like coming home when you live in a war zone.

Welcome home, Samantha, the darkness seems to whisper.

Lifelike dreams began to invade my sleep the first night I discovered Adam, snacking on a woman that I'd been hired to follow. These are the thoughts that keep me company as I try not to obsess over the totally creepy scene before me. I started referring to it as a "dreamscape" a while ago.

Trees and brush snag at my clothing and scrape my skin. Yes, dreams hurt.

Light from an unnaturally large moon bathes the landscape in the cool blue light. As I move forward in a random direction, fog crawls along the forest floor like a serpent seeking prey. There's no breeze, yet chills creep along my spine in anticipation of what I'll discover.

Fighting my way through the twisted branches snagging my hair like bony hands reaching for me, I feel like Dorothy in the dark forest, right before the flying monkey's attack.

I've grown accustomed to this place, but that doesn't mean I let my guard down—ever. I'd rather not test my theory that if I died in a dream, I would die for real.

Tonight, my gown is long, white, and flowy—resembling a wedding dress from long ago. Does the dress have a special meaning? Might be good to know, since I'm going to wear one, soon.

Dream interpretation isn't an exact science, especially when it could be showing me the past, present or future. It's subjective, at the very least. And while it might sound like an excellent superpower, it tends to be cryptic and somewhat convoluted. Dreams are less exciting than spinning webs or lifting heavy shit. Or flying—that would be awesome.

Something in the air suddenly changes. One moment I'm walking along the creepy forest and the next I'm assaulted with an overwhelming sensation of fear that rushes through my veins like ice water. Spinning around, I search for the threat and realize something. This is one of those déjà vu moments. A strangling fear spreads rapidly, threatening to paralyze me.

I've felt this before—the sudden knowledge that something terrible is coming. That night I drove a magical blade through Zachariah's heart—it was there, in the garden. When I blacked out, I dreamed of a place of impossible beauty that I never wanted to leave. Until I sensed something dangerous was coming for me. And it's happening again.

Instinct takes over, and I run, stealing panicked glances over my shoulder. My foot catches on one of the many obstacles in my path, causing me to stumble, but I never hit the ground. Instead of falling on my face, I plunge into weightless darkness. Vertigo assaults me. I try desperately to find solid ground.

The smothering emotion suddenly dissipates for no reason I can discern. I'm not sure being plunged into total darkness is an improvement. Fear leaves me in measured waves—like evil is moving away from me.

Total darkness horrifies me. It's like the world is gone and I'm alone. I'd almost chase down a monster to not be alone in the dark—not knowing what's right beside me is worse. I'm scared to reach out, so I hug myself and wait, listening for the tiniest sound. Moments Minutes pass.

Finally, a small dot of light grabs my attention. My feet, finally on solid ground, I shuffle closer until the small glow takes the shape of a window. As I draw near, Drawing closer, a small house takes form in a wooded clearing. Quietly, I step tiptoe onto the porch of the cabin and peer inside. A fire in the stone fireplace casts a soft golden glow inside the room.

My breath catches. Lush green flowering vines cover the walls, floor, and ceiling. Some of the foliage even crosses the wooden bed in the center of the room—the sole piece of furniture. But the strange growth of plants within the cabin are not the only things that make my heart beat loud enough to attract every monster in the forest.

A man and woman standing next to the bed, their figures bathed in the light from the dancing flames, as they hold each other. His broad muscled chest is bare, and his pale skin is a stark contrast to the woman's sun-kissed flesh. The man's features are chiseled as if carved from alabaster. His eyes are a brilliant green that matches the lightest leaves of the vines, and his hair is the palest blond with a blue tint that becomes darker at the end—handsome in the most exotic way.

The woman reaches up and touches his face as he gazes down at her. When her hand moves into his hair, I notice his ears are misshapen or... pointed.

I can't see her face—only her profile, but I suspect she's lovely. Her long red hair hangs down her back in silky waves. Clothed in a simple sleeveless white gown, she moves to lay her head on his chest. I find myself wishing she'd turn so that I can see her face.

She's human, and he isn't. I'm not certain why I know this, but I do. Is he a fairy? His embrace is possessive, loving, and passionate at the same time. The image is incredibly intimate, and I want to turn away, but I can't.

Tragic. I've no idea why that word comes to mind. I've never met this couple before but... their story is sad. Their love may be powerful, but their future holds great pain for both. There is no reason for me to know these things, but I do. And the knowledge makes me sad.

I'm lost in their moment, like watching a movie, when a movement from across the room pulls my gaze away. Another window across the room shows another person watching, as I am. But this face makes my heart freeze in terror.

The White Warrior, from a past dream, watches the couple with malice glowing in his eyes, so like the other man, but the warrior's expression is filled with hatred.

At last, the evil presence of my nightmare's has a face. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that Monsters aren't always hideous. Sometimes they're deceptively beautiful.

RKCloseBooks.com