Chapter 15

"Thornshine! Thornshine! Guess what?" Swiftfast squeaked, bouncing towards her mother excitedly.

"What is it Swi-" Thornshine started.

"It's Halloween!" The white kit exclaimed, her tail waving in the air enthusiastically and accidentally hitting Pigeonkit in the face.

"Who cares? It's all muddy and raining outside anyways." Pigeonkit muttered, burying his head into his paws to block out Swiftpaw's incessant chattering.

Applekit wandered over to Swiftkit. "Whatcha doin' Swiftkit?" She asked the older white kit. Swiftkit grinned at Applekit, "I'm making my Halloween costume! I'm going to be a moss ball!"

"Moss ball? I want... I want to play moss ball." Furzekit stated, tilting his head.

Troutkit trotted over with Cloverkit in tow. "Can I be a fish for Halloween?" She asked softly, her green eyes flicking over Swiftkit's lovely costume. "No." Pigeonkit opened his eyes. "Fish are stupid. Why would you want to be a smelly fish?" He grumbled at Troutkit. "No they're not! Fish are the best. I bet you can't swim nearly as fast as a fish, Pigeonkit. Fish are like- swish and swosh a-and then they go zoom and vwoop and fwoom a-and-and they disappear like floop. I'm going to be like a fish one day." Pikekit boasted, his green eyes growing wide at the thought.

"Can I be a l-leaf?" Cloverkit asked nervously. "I mean- it's okay if y-you guys want to be leaves. That's alright too." Her head lowered shyly.

"Wh-What am I dressing up as a-again? A swish? Wait, no. I said I wanted to be a swosh, right?" Troutkit's eyes narrowed as she struggled to recall what she wanted to be for Halloween.

"Stupid. You wanted to be a fish, not a swish or a swosh, mousebrain." Pigeonkit snapped irritability at Troutkit, causing her eyes to water. The light gray she-kit sniffled, "O-oh. Th-that wasn't very nice, Pigeonkit. I'm sorry I forgot. I-I'm sometimes v-very forget-forgetful."

Troutkit burst out crying.

"Pigeonkit! You made her cry!" Swiftkit reprimanded the grumpy tom. She tackled Pigeonkit to the ground, and they began to tussle around.

Cloverkit attempted to comfort the crying she-kit. "Shhh. It's alright Troutkit. I'm sure Pigeonkit didn't mean it. I don't think you're a mousebrain." The yellow eyed tabby cast a pointed look at Pigeonkit, who looked extremely uncomfortable.

"Can we just go trick or treating already? The rain has stopped and there's a lot of puddles outside right now." Pikekit shuffled his white paws impatiently. He was itching to dive in the puddles.

Furzekit nodded, agreeing with Pikekit. "Y-yeah. I want to go... tri-trick or tr-tr-treat-ing. I'm hungry..."

Ever the peacekeeper, Applekit cut in. "How about Pigeonkit apologizes to Troutkit for insulting her and then we can all go trick or treating!" The hazel eyed she-kit suggested, only to be ignored by the other kits. Sighing, she gave up on trying to convince her fellow kits to be reasonable and fair.

Having had enough, Brightdust shooed the kits out of the nursery to receive some much needed quiet. "Go outside, go trick or treating. I don't care what you do, just get out of here. It's way too crowded for all of you to be fussing around and making a mess." She grumbled, attempting to reorganize the messed up nests in the nursery.

The kits tumbled over each other in a hurry to exit the den. "Which den do you guys want to visit first?" Cloverkit asked, looking around and considering all the dens scattered around the ParsleyClan camp.

"Let's go to the warriors' den! I bet they'll have lots and lots and lots of treats for us!" Pikekit exclaimed, wiggling around.

Swiftkit shook her head. "No! I think we should go to the apprentice's den. Pouncepaw might even show us some tricks!" She grinned.

"B-but Yarrowpaw is scary." Furzekit shuddered at the mention of Yarrowpaw. Yarrowpaw was always making fun of them and her amber eyes terrified Furzekit.

"Don't be so mousebrained, Furzepaw. Yarrowpaw isn't scary, she just thinks you all are annoying. I wholeheartedly agree with her." Pigeonkit snorted and flicked his ear in annoyance.

"Y-your face is mousebrained! I-I mean, your face is annoying!" Furzekit responded with the best comeback ever.

Pigeonkit wrinkled his nose. "That doesn't even make sense."

"Fine! At least I have one!" The fuzzy gray kit replied indignantly.

Troutkit cocked her head, confused. Swiftkit, Cloverkit, and Applekit all looked at each other, hoping someone would give an explanation for Furzekit's comeback.

"What?" Pikekit asked Furzekit skeptically. "What does that even mean? It makes even less sense than your first response."

Furzekit, equally confused, simply shrugged. "Oh well. L-let's go tr-trick or treating now!"

The entourage of kits happily marched towards the apprentice den. The den had cobwebs strung all over the entrance, and a few skulls from prey strewn around, giving it a creepy feeling.

Applekit shivered. "I don't like that. It's so scary and spooky. I'm scared to go in." The hazel eyed light brown tabby whimpered when Swiftkit attempted to push her towards the den entrance.

"Ugh. I don't even care any more. I just want to get this over with. I think Halloween is overrated and extremely boring." Pigeonkit yawned, showing sharp, tiny white teeth. His tail swished impatiently, and he just wanted to go back to the nursery and sleep.

"It's alright Applekit. I'll stay with you out here if you don't want to go inside." Cloverkit said sweetly. "I don't really mind if I don't go inside."

Applekit's breathed a visible sigh of relief. "Yes, thank you so much. I'm not scared of Yarrowpaw, but this setup is really creepy. I bet Yarrowpaw did this to scare us in the first place."

As the other kits confidently strolled to the entrance of the apprentice den, a dark gray tabby face and a pair of amber eyes greeted them.

"What do you want?" Yarrowpaw's eyes were narrowed in suspicion.

The group of kits smiled up at her, except for Furzekit. He was near tears just looking at Yarrowpaw. "P-please d-don't eat us..." He pleaded with the dark gray tabby.

"Trick or treat!" The kits cheered.

Yo yo yo it's Cherri here with a Halloween update :) hope y'all enjoyed a slightly altered version of my Halloween experience today.