Chapter 4

"I received a prophecy from StarClan!" announced Applekit, sprinting up to Swiftkit.

Swiftkit rolled her yellow eyes speedily, "Yeah, you said that last time and nothing even happened to LeafClan. We got more prey than ever before, actually!"

"Shhh, Quickstar!" hissed Applekit, "We can't tell the Clan!" 

"But we need to pick a deputy!" snarled Swiftkit quickly and suddenly all the kits were awake.

"Deputy?" they smirked, sidling over.

Swiftkit looked, disgusted, at them. "None of you will be getting it if you act like that?"

They all shuffled back in shame and stood attentively.

"I think that Swallowtooth shall be our deputy," announced the 'leader', looking at Pigeonkit with decisive eyes.

"Swallowtooth! Swallowtooth!" they cheered, and the new deputy dipped his head. Then, he stood and carefully trailed over to Swiftkit.

"Is it okay if I kill you? For plot reasons," added the short-furred tom. 

Swiftkit thought for a moment and then nodded brightly at Pigeonkit.

"Okay, I'll pretend to ambush you soon."

The day came and went, with the kits doing various activities, most of which included getting underpaw and bothering the elders. They went on some patrols, too, but they found soon Furzekit was incapable of anything like that. Lots of screaming came from the elder's den that day, mostly from Otterspeckle. The sun shimmered above, then slowly it sunk toward the ground, allowing shadows and gloom to cover the camp.

Now, the kits were simply milling around the camp. Shadows jumped and skittered around them as they moved around.

Suddenly, Pigeonkit leaped up onto the rock. He swept his light brown gaze around.

"LeafClan! I have an important announcement to make!"

All of the kits wandered over and Swiftkit glared.

"That's my spot!"

"Not for long..." smirked the kit.

"What?" She tilted her head in surprise.

Pigeonkit sprung onto her with no warning. She screamed and leaped away. He fell to the ground.

The rest of LeafClan was now panicking, randomly screeching words that made no sense.

"Help! Someone help our leader!"

"We're being overthrown!"

"Oh no!"

Pigeonkit snarled and approached her, tail lashing. He sprung onto her and pinned her to the ground, eyes narrowed. 

"I never liked you as my leader, so now you die!" He proclaimed.

The rest of the Clan continued to howl, running around in circles. Perhaps, they thought that if they ran around, StarClan would save their leader.

Spoiler alert, that's not how it works.

Pigeonkit swiped a paw over her face and the she-kit fell still, but it was obvious she was breathing. He kicked her away and she made a small 'oof' noise. He hissed.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

She lay even stiller.

"Good."

Pigeonkit turned back to them, maliciously smiling, "Now I will be your leader - Swallowstar!"

Suddenly, Applekit screeched, "I have received a prophecy!"