Jason rolled his eyes. "You're way to dramatic."

"Dramatic is my specialty," I shrugged, and although he refused to smile, I saw his lip tip up ever so slightly.

After a few more minutes had passed, we were parked outside of our school, and I groaned internally as we walked to the front doors.

"Why do I even bother going here anymore?" I grumbled to myself, but when Jason laughed, I figured he heard me.

"Because you need to graduate, Em. And then you need to go to university, and then get a job, and make a family..." he began to ramble, but I was quick to cover my ears.

"Shush! Too young," I hissed, and he rolled his eyes.

"You're turning 17 in a month. It's time to start thinking about what's gonna happen after high school," he said, and it was my turn to roll my eyes.

"And you're way too young to be thinking about the future," I said. His birthday was in the beginning of February, so he was already 17.

Lucas' birthday was a day before Valentine's Day, so they had a pretty close age difference.

The warning bell rang suddenly, and I smiled inside, thankful that he wouldn't have to retort to defend his point.

But when I saw a familiar pair of brown eyes in front of me, I turned the other way.

"Yo, Jase!" Alec shouted, and behind me I heard them slap their hands together.

Before I could move away from them, Jason grabbed my upper arm, and I sighed before turning around to face them both with a fake smile plastered on my lips.

"I gotta head to class, Jase. I'll see you at lunch," I said, and just as he nodded, Alec decided to add his input.

"I'll come," he said quickly before correcting himself. "I mean, we have first period together, don't we?"

My eyes met his slowly as I painfully nodded in agreement. "I guess we do," I said between my clenched teeth.

"Listen," he whispered next to me once we separated from Jason. "Can we just talk for a minute?"

A dry laugh left me. "That's all you need to prove your defence? Okay dickwad, go ahead."

Before another sound left him, I jogged up the stairs at an impressible speed considering it's me we're talking about. But before I could enjoy the distance between us, he began to jog right next to me.

Second floor. One more floor to go until I'm surrounded by people.

This is the one of those rare moments where I wish people would talk to me.

"Can you just slow down," he hissed, and I was ready to laugh, but when I saw Lucas by the top of the stairs, eyeing the both of us curiously, I stopped.

I couldn't even kneel down to catch my breath once I reached the top floor because Lucas was staring at me so intensely I couldn't help but hold my breath.

Suddenly his gaze reached over my shoulder, and his eyes narrowed into a glare before lacing his fingers with mine.

I was too shocked to reply before he tugged me into our classroom.

"Who is he to you, Emma?" Lucas hissed under his breath once we were sitting at our seat.

I moved my hand out of his hold before putting both of my hands between the middle of my thighs.

"No one," I replied, but I could tell he wasn't satisfied with the answer.

Without giving me enough time to think of an excuse to make him to stay, he got up from his seat and moved to the second row to sit with one of his friends.