"Sorry, baby," he murmured, pulling me closer to his side.

"Is this a new path?" I questioned. I don't recall any part of this path, but he seemed to know exactly where he was headed. Maybe it was an older one that I just didn't recall.

"Sorta," he shrugged. Despite my confused expression, Ian brushed it off and gave me a look that said to just leave it be for now. I did; I try not to question him often. "Did you have a good day?"

"Sure," I shrugged. "As good as it can get for being at school. How was your day?"

In an exaggerated motion, he swung our hands back and forth. "Better now that I'm here with you." Always the flirt, but I'm not complaining.

I was about to ask him why he changed his mind on such short notice when my answer came into eyesight.

The path was surely a new one because I know I'd remember the sight at the end of this one. There was an open grassy space right next to the stream, and you could see the sunset perfectly by staring down the stream. The trees crowded around the open space perfectly to make just enough shade.

Laying down on the ground was a basic red picnic blanket and a picnic basket. There was a bottle of sparkling juice with wine glasses next to it and everything. Plus, there was an extra navy blue blanket on top of the red blanket.

He prepped all of this just for me.

"E..." I trailed off in awe. I turned to face him, wrapping my arms around his neck. "This is amazing." He quickly pecked my lips and pulled away.

"You haven't even seen what's in the basket yet," he grinned, excitedly. I sat down on the blanket as he started pulling the food out of the basket — a collection of treats his mom made. Being a caterer, she loves to cook and she's amazing at it.

"What's all this for?" I asked, smiling softly. Of course I've always known he's literally perfect, but every day he continues to amaze me.

"Because I love you."

"Well, I love you, too," I said casually, not really thinking anything of it.

Being best friends since 7th grade, saying I love you wasn't that big of a deal. Because we knew, when we initially started dating, that when we said that we loved each other, it was just as best friends.

"No, Jos," he shook his head, unable to wipe his gorgeous smile off his face. "I woke up this morning, and my first thought was you, as it usually is. But this morning it all just hit me. I am in love with you."

   My heart rate picked up at his confession of love to me. Real love, not just best friend love. There was no question about the way I felt toward him.

   "I am in love with you, too, Ian Miller." He closed the space on the blanket between us to give me a gentle and passionate kiss.

   In that moment, I was glad we didn't stay in tonight. There's no where else I would've preferred to exchange our first of many I love you's. The woods is the place where our bond grew and is something shared between us, just us.

*5 years ago*

"Look at that tree," I pointed to the crazy tree I spotted across the stream. Ian stopped whatever it is he was doing to look at the tree. The smirk that appeared on his lips scared me because I could tell he had an idea that probably wasn't smart.