The Beginning

Death.

It is an inevitable thing- a force- a power- a being that holds no remorse for their victims. Death takes whoever they want. It does not matter if you are a beggar or a king. Death will always come for you- no matter what. Do not believe that you are exempt from the inevitable, no matter your status or worth. No matter how kind you are, or how wicked. In the end, none of it matters to death. Death will come to you, for it is only a matter of when.

That being said, Death does have some exceptions. While it is still true that Death will always come for you, it is also true that sometimes Death may bestow a "gift" to those they truly don't feel are worthy of meeting their fate just quite yet.

The people that Death doesn't see fit to die yet become a sort of assistant to death, a being who has one foot on the side of the living and another on the side of the dead. These beings are called reapers.

And on one fateful day, Death chose Izuku Midoriya to become a Reaper.

Unknown to Death, but entirely known to Fate, Izuku Midoriya would become the greatest reaper of all time.

***

Izuku Midoriya is supposed to be dead, but he isn't.

At least, not fully dead.

It all started on one fateful afternoon when Izuku's former friend, Katsuki Bakugou, told him to "take a swan dive off of the roof".

And you know what he did?

He walked up slowly to the roof, his steps echoing as he went.

Izuku Midoriya did not think of anything on the walk to death other than, 'Kacchan is right.

'I'm useless.

'I can't do anything.

'I'm. Not. Worth. Anything.'

Eventually, the green haired boy found his way to the edge of the roof. He looked down at the ground below him, at the students still lingering around school for whatever reason.

Izuku thought for a moment as the wind ruffled his already unruly hair.

Did he really want to go through with this? Was this worth it? Could he really be useful at all? He remembered the way his fellow classmates mocked him for something that was outside of his ability to control. The boy remembered how his teachers always managed to somehow turn a blind eye to the abuse he received from his peers.

No one cared about a quirkless boy. No one cared about him.

Without thinking any longer, Izuku Midoriya swan dived off the roof like his former friend told him too. Maybe then Kacchan would finally be proud of him.

On the way down, centimeters from reaching the cement, Izuku spotted a black figure in the peripheral of his vision racing towards him.

Then he finally made contact with the hard world  and everything became nothing.

***

There was an overwhelming sense of urgency for Death. They felt that if they did not save Izuku Midoriya from his untimely death, something would be terribly out of place in the world. Something horribly wrong.