chapter 5-Max

"But why?" I asked as a man wheeled Buddy away in a a big green cage. "I want him to stay with us."

"I know you do baby." April said kneeling in front of us "I do too. But I promise he will be waiting for us when we get there." She said standing up as Becca and Rae walked up.

"Where's Buddy?" Rae asked from Becca's hip looking at Buddy's leash in my hand.

"They took him away." I said with a sniffle. Before Rae could respond April picked me up and she looked at me with a smile.

"You're forgetting the part where he will be waiting for us when we get there." She said kissing my cheek.

"Our plane is boarding in 20 minutes so we should get to our gate." I heard Becca say. I rest my head on April's shoulder as we walked around the airport and sat down in a waiting area.

"Someone is getting a little tired." April said as I sat up on her lap and yawned "You can take a nap on the plane baby but try to stay awake as long as you can." She bounced her knees and tickled me for the next 20 minutes so I would stay awake because my eyes kept closing until we finally walked onto the airplane. "Okay baby you can snuggle up and take a nap now." April said once we were all sat down and buckled into four seats. It felt like April was shaking me awake 5 minutes later and leading me off the plane.

Once we were off the plane Becca turned to us and said "April why don't you take Max and Rae to get Buddy while I go call our mothers real quick." She said running off.

"who wants to go get Buddy!" April cheered pulling Rae and I in the opposite direction.

"Me!" we both yelled hopping after her to an area that had a bunch of suitcases and boxes in.

"Buddy!" I yelled when I saw a man roll a big cage over to us. Buddy was inside of the cage and he was dancing and barking when he saw us. He jumped out as soon as the man opened it and jumped on Rae and me licking us all over our faces. April helped us up and tried to brush all the dirt off our clothes as Becca walked up putting her phone in her pocket.

"Are you guys ready?" She asked kneeling in front of Rae. "They are waiting by baggage claim." She said as April kneeled in front of me.

"Before we go home there are two people here who really want to meet you guys." April said looking at us.

"Your mommies?" I heard Rae ask I was about to ask her the heck she knew that when she started to panic and looked at Becca in fear "I'm sorry I shouldn't have listened, I couldn't sleep very well."

I gasped and tried to run in front of Rae, I wasn't going to let Becca hurt her, but April pulled me back in front of her "Let me go." I said struggling in her arms "I have to help her."

"Hey hey hey." She said "Everything is okay Max, nobody is in trouble."

"No no no" I heard Becca say as she picked up Rae. "Hey now we talked about this didn't we? You don't ever have to be afraid of me sweet girl, no more tears." I stopped trying to get away from April and looked at her as she brushed a tear from my cheek.

"Rae's not in trouble?" I asked looking at her "She's not going to get hit?"

"No baby." She said pulling me into a hug "Rae is never going to get hit again. You never have to be afraid for her again okay?" she picked me up and handed me Buddy's leash. "How about we go meet Becca and my Mom's now huh?" She said walking in the other direction.

I was resting my head on April's shoulder when I felt her hug someone and say "Hi Mom." I looked up to see a lady looking at me with a really big smile. "Max this is my Mom Sue, and she has been calling me all morning because she is so excited to finally meet you." She said poking me in the nose making me giggle.

"Hi Max." She said putting her hand on my cheek and tucking some of my curly hair behind my ear "Aren't you a handsome boy." she said.

"He's a handsome little daredevil, aren't you buddy?" April said looking at me with a smile "You're going to give me a run for my money." She turned back to her mom and said "Do you want to meet Rae?"

We walked over to where Becca and Rae were talking to another lady and April said "Hey peanut." She pinched her nose and made her giggle "This is my mom Sue. Mom this is our little peanut Rae."

"Well hello Miss. Rae" Sue said walking up and sticking out her hand for a handshake. "It is a pleasure to meet you."

"It's a pleasure to meet you too." She said giggling into Becca's shoulder.

"Mom" Becca said rubbing my back and looking at the lady next to her "This handsome devil is Maxwell, Max this is my Mom Ruth."

"It is very nice to meet you Max." Ruth said with a smile and a wink.

"It's nice to meet you too." I said smiling back at her. As we started walking outside I heard Becca tell Rae that we were all going home but that meant that we had to say bye to each other because we were going to different places.

I looked up at April with a gasp and she nodded at me with a small smile. "It's not goodbye forever baby." She said with a sigh when she saw my chin start to tremble "We would never separate you and Rae." She set me down when I started wiggling out of her arms and I ran over to Rae to give her a big hug.

"We'll be okay." I said as a tear slipped down my face. I didn't want to tell her that I was terrified, I was the brave one afterall. I was excited to start over in a new town Rae finally got to escape her Dad. But I didn't know what to expect, we don't even know April and Becca.

She hugged me tighter and whispered "I'm scared though Maxxy. Nothing is going to be the same." she cried as as pulled back to look at her.

"That's a good thing Rae beam." I said wiping my face "Things are good now. There Safe." I said looking back at April who was smiling at me. "We'll be okay." I said giving her a hug. I turned around and April picked me up carrying me to her car.

"I know you're scared right now, but you don't have to be. I know you don't know me yet but you can trust me baby. You and Rae are going to be so happy here I promise." She said kissing my forehead and holding me until I fell asleep again.