Just One Day

Hailey's focus:

"Mom, I don't think this looks good." I sighed for the hundredth time this morning.

"Sweetie! It looks perfect. Stop stressing out." Mother tried to placate me and ruffled my hair slightly.

I casted one last glance over my outfit. I was wearing a light purple hoodie, paired with a blue jeans and white converse high. My hair were tied in a ponytail, the see-through bangs placed on my forehead.

"Okay mom, I'm leaving." I smiled weakly and left out of the house.

It was 6:30 in the morning. I ambled on the sidewalk, head phones plugged in as I listened to soft piano music. The sky had a tinge of orange along with a hint of pick. The morning breezing had a calming effect as it rustled through the autumn leaves. I grinned at the soft spectacle.

I was absorbed in thoughts till my eyes landed on the awe struckimg building in front of me. The building was formed in King Edward's reign yet it still had its magnificence to it. I walked through the gate and wandered around a bit.

Its the first day of high school. My mother and I moved in this city two weeks ago. I was never good at making friends, credits to my shy personality. I did not want to make a bad impression on my teachers on my first day so I came in a bit early. I peeked on some classes till I reached my class. A4, it read.

Here goes nothing. Pulling out my headphones, i headed inside. To my surprise, there were few girls in the classroom. One of them was oddly beautiful, wearing a long maxi skirt and a rust rust-colored crop top. Her blonde curly hair fell to her shoulder and matched perfectly with her wheat-brown skin.

Everyone stopped their chit-chats and threw an unknowing glance at me, before they were back to business.

I felt relived internally. I wasn't very fond of unwanted attention over my potato like personality. I gazed around and placed my bag on the mid of the second row.

"Excuse me, can you please sit somewhere else? I'm sparing this seat for my friend." The pretty girl politely requested. Obviously, I had no intention of causing a scene on the first day of high school, so I picked up my bag.

"Hey! Come sit by me." I heard a low whisper and turned around. The girl that offered me a friendly smile was a chubby but cute girl.

"Thanks." I grinned.

*Time skip*

It was third class and three long hours of school lied ahead. I tried hard not to doze off and listen to the lecture carefully. It was one of the best, yet the most expensive school of the city. My mum wished for me to graduate high school from a well known school.

"Does anybody know the answer?" Mr. Hubert glared at the class, and noticed a boy named Logan, with his hand up.

"Yes, Mr.Kim? What is the answer?"

"Answer? What answer? I was just stretching my arm. You were saying?" He replied, dumbfounded. A little smirk playing on the side of his lips cleared out that he was playing around. Mr. Hubert rolled his eyes and looked at the back.

"Anna, do you know the answer or are you working out in the classroom as well?" The entire class chuckled.

"GMO is an organism whose DNA has been modified throigh the method of genetic engineering." She replied confidently, all eyes on her.

She sat back to her seat with a shy grin.

Wow. I'm totally gonna befriend her.
I thought to myself, since I want to make my mum proud that by paying off her money by hardwork.
____________________________________

An awfully long day had finally come to an end. I was sitting on my bed reading the last pages of my novel with a cup of coffee in my hand.

Ring Ring.

My phone beeped and I peeked at it. My elder sister had sent me a good luck text. I smiled and turned my gaze back to the book.