CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Assalamualaykum!

This is quicker than I usually update these days, isn't it? Its only been a month and a half! xD

This chapter is going to be ingeniously different from the past few ones but I think it's a welcome surprise, no?

I know I make you guys wait a lot, but here you go. One of the longest chapters in this book, khaas aap logon ke liye. xD

VEER ZAARA TURNS 14 TODAY SO HERE WE ARE.

And I know a lot of you were upset that Shehry was absent in the last chapter, but don't you worry, he's back! At least for a little bit ;)

Hopefully, you'll love this chapter more than I do ;)

Happy reading!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ayaan's POV

"No, we're not throwing a big fat desi wedding." I clearly stated. "Unless Rukhsaar wants a big fat desi wedding, we are not throwing one."

"Accha, ab begum aa gayi toh hamari khwaahishaat koi matlab nahi rakhti?" Sabrina taunted playfully, winking at Rukhsaar. Rukhsaar laughed freely, a carefree sound that I hadn't heard in a long time. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard her laugh like that, a sound that spoke volumes of her freedom.

"Mujhe actually bade weddings pasand nahi hai. Maine hamesha teen hi cheezein sochi hai apni shaadi ke liye. Mehendi, nikkah aur valima." Rukhsaar piped up.

"Toh bas, final ho gaya. Parso mehendi hogi, jummah ko nikaah aur phir Saturday ko valima." Aapi said, desperately trying to finalize something. She stood at the counter with Rukhsaar making breakfast.

"Aapi, valime mein bohot se logon ko bulaana padhta hai. Itna kam time mein kaise karenge hum yeh sab?"

"Dulha sahab ab hum se sawal karenge." Rizwan scoffed, a merry twinkle in his eyes. I rolled my eyes at him, still waiting for Aapi's answer.

When we'd broken the news to the twins, there had been some shouting, tears, lots of hugs, and all-round happiness. For the first time in seven months, I felt lighter, like my chest wasn't laden with a heavy burden anymore. My heart finally felt whole again, as if it had never broken.

"Rukhsaar tum hi bata do, kya karein?" Rukhsaar had been observing the four of us fight but Sabrina's question caught her off-guard. Her expression was akin to a deer caught in the headlights. I grinned widely at how cute she looked.

"Ayaan sahi keh rahe hai, mujhe bade bade function nahi chahiye. Bas hamari family aur thode close friends." She agreed with me. I cocked an eyebrow smugly at them, crossing my arms over my chest and leaning on the chair next to me.

Just my luck, the chair pushed itself inside and I nearly toppled over. Sabrina and Rizwan burst out laughing. Even Aapi couldn't hide the smile behind her hand.

Feeling heat rise to my cheeks, I played it off, stomping back to the doorframe.

Rukhsaar giggled behind me at my antics. I paused in my tracks, taking the opportunity.

"Aapko badi hansi aa rahi hai?" I leaned towards her, teasingly. She rolled her eyes at me and continued to roll out the rotis, visibly trying to fight the smile threatening to take over her features. Her hair had come loose from the clip, and wayward strands framed her face. She'd tied her dupatta across her torso, clad in one of Sabrina's suits. Flour dusted across her wrists and fingers.

Someone cleared their throat behind me. I closed my eyes and cursed under my breath.

"Kya hai?" I snapped at Rizwan, who was grinning goofily while looking between us. Sabrina stood behind him, trying to stifle her laughter.