night time

Ding.

"Eunsook."

Ding.

"Oh, for Christ's sakes."

Dingdingdingdingding—

"Eunsook, if I have to slam my hand on this god damn bell one more fucking time, I'll shove it up your ass."

Brief silence.

DINGDINGDING DINGY DING DING—

"Jungkook, will you—?"

"Yeah."

Eunsook groggily feels a hand on her wrist, and suddenly the place where she is propping up her heavy head disappears beneath her cheek. The next surface it meets is the cool linoleum countertop with a soft thump. A drowsy groan gurgles from her pouting lips and she sits up, running a hand through her short, wavy black hair.

"Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey, sleepyhead!" Jungkook, her coworker, coos teasingly, ruffling her already messy hair. Eunsook scowls and slaps his hand away, stumbling to her feet, unstable on her rollerskates that all waiters and waitresses at the diner had to wear.

"Fuck off, Jungkook." She mutters, pushing Jungkook's chest hard enough that he starts to roll backwards on his own rollerskates, and snickering quietly to herself when he collides with Seokjin, the cook. Her smile fades quickly when Seokjin glares at her bitterly. Seokjin is like an older brother to her, but he's terrifying when even mildly annoyed.

"Are you aware of what time it is?" He asks, voice scarily quiet. Eunsook swallows nervously as Jungkook collects himself.

"T-Time to get a watch." Eunsook mumbles lamely, and Seokjin's glare only intensifies. Jungkook chuckles, but it morphs into a yelp when Seokjin slaps his shoulder.

"Incorrect. It is 2:57 AM, and you are on duty, so wake the fuck up, please. Someone's at your counter." Seokjin says, gesturing to the CCTV screens that show a lone man sitting at the counter. Eunsook groans once more, straightening the blue button up and black skirt that she has to wear. Her mascara is smudged and her cheek is red from leaning it on top of her hand as she slept.

"Why can't Jungkook do it?" She whines. Sleeping seems more tempting than ever, even though Eunsook works the night shift every Thursday, Friday, and Tuesday.

"Because I'm assigned to the booths, not the counter." Jungkook says smugly. "Sorry to interrupt your beauty sleep, Sookie." He teases. His voice is sugar sweet, but all it does for Eunsook is give her cavities and make her want to punch him in the face.

"Unfortunately, no amount of beauty sleep could help her face at this point." Seokjin deadpans, and Eunsook gasps, resisting the urge to skate right over Seokjin's toes. "Run along." Jungkook is cackling maniacally in the corner at this point and Eunsook rolls her eyes, feet trudging as she skates out of the back to the diner counter. The man is reading the newspaper, his hunched, broad shoulders clad in a denim jacket, a blue baseball cap on his head. Eunsook gets a lot of weirdos coming to eat at the diner this late at night, but he appears to be one of the more normal ones.

"Hi, welcome to the Moonlight Diner. What can I get started for you tonight?" Eunsook says once she comes to a stop in front of the man, her well-rehearsed spiel spilling out of her mouth as she withdraws her pad and pen from the pocket of her apron.

"Is it even still considered night right now?" The man asks. Eunsook shoots a glance up from her notebook at the man, a small chuckle at him trying to be friendly escaping her lips. Her eyes meet his own, and her mouth goes dry when she gets a good look at his face. His brown eyes twinkle, despite the shadow cast over his face by his baseball cap. His tan skin is smooth, and his lips are full. He's handsome, Eunsook notices. Not in the normal way, either. His face is unique. He quirks his eyebrow at her, and Eunsook realizes that he expects her to answer.