"You don't want to hold onto any of it?" He wore a mask of puzzlement. Internally, though, he was screaming with jubilance. Edmund wondered if she had found out that little secret of Reginald's. If she had, that would explain her sudden desire not to attend his funeral and her current behavior. Oh, that would be splendid. He supposed that he could've worn something else than all black, but he always loved to match her.

"No." A shaky breath parted from her. How he wished to catch it and then ensnare her lips with his. "He had ... he had ..."

"You don't have to tell me, (f/n)."

Shaking her head, she intertwined her fingers and held her knees close to her chest. "I don't want to. I don't feel like saying anything to you, but ..." She trailed off and rested her forehead against her knees. "But, it's hard not to." A miniscule smile touched her lips. "You listen, and you're understanding. It makes it easy to confide in you."

Upon his lips, his own smile formed. Her eyes glanced upon it, and she felt a light dash of heat hit her cheeks. It wasn't the time to consider him attractive or anything of that nature. Right now, she needed those things gone from her apartment, and she required only his friendship. His lips parted as if to say something, but she beat him to it.

Uncurling herself, she stared down at her lap. Her fingers tightened around themselves. A bitter, pain-filled frown coated her lips. Tears threatened to fall again. "H-H-He ..." She took a deep breath in before she exhaled. (F/n)'s breath came out trembling.

Knives seemed to dig holes in her chest, and her stomach knotted. For a second, she thought that she might be sick. Her arms hugged her torso. Edmund shifted his foot towards the break. She shook her head. "No. Keep going."

Reluctantly, he did so. (F/n) steeled herself and straightened her shoulders back against the seat. "It's just ... It's just ... Well ..." A sob escaped her. Her hands flew up to her face and covered her eyes. The feelings of hopelessness invaded her mind again. "I'm sorry. I can't."

No verbal response was given to her. Edmund opened the middle compartment and removed a thing of tissues. He closed the storage unit and set the tissues on top. "Don't apologize." If she hadn't been sniffling and sobbing, she wouldn't have missed the ticked off tone of his.

As (f/n) grabbed a tissue, Edmund tightened his hands around the steering wheel. If he could, he would bend the wheel completely. He was ecstatic that she finally knew the truth about Reginald and Gina, but he was beyond infuriated at her present state. The fact that Gina probably was smiling to herself due to (f/n) not attending the funeral left him rage-filled. It didn't help that he comprehended that the wretched man's parents had been on the secret too. Something had to be done, and he'd figure it out later.

When he finally stopped the car, he glanced over to her. Her nose was swollen as was the top of her upper lip. Both areas were rubbed dry too, and her lipstick was long since gone. Each of her eyes was red and puffed up, and her makeup was a waterfall on her cheeks.

It broke his heart to view her in such a state when she usually was so prim and proper. Not saying anything, he placed his keys in his left pants' pocket and left the car. He closed the car door, which didn't even catch her attention. Edmund opened hers and held out his hand to her. "I can't possibly leave you in there." An attentive and charming smile was directed her way.

Slowly, she diverted her eyes up to him. A look of shame crossed her countenance, and she quickly averted her eyes elsewhere. "It's fine. I'll stay in here." She didn't even glance to the building. "You have a meeting."

"Yes, I do. But, I'm not leaving you in my car." His hand motioned for her to grab it. She stared to him again and noted the kind look in his eyes, but there was a harsher note there too. It caught her off guard, but she pushed it aside as her mind playing tricks on her. Gently, she slipped on her pumps and let him lift her out of the car.

"I'm a mess. I really ..."

"You're beautiful." The compliment surprised her, and heat returned to her cheeks. She didn't dare meet his eyes then. He reached around her and retrieved a couple of tissues as well as a water bottle. Edmund wetted the tissues before he set the bottle down and placed his right fingers under her chin. "Close your eyes and hold still."

"But ..."

"Most of your makeup is gone anyway." He gave her an amused look, and she glanced to the side in embarrassment. "No need for the rest of it." Before she could get another word in, she felt the wet tissue against her skin. She really wished that she had brought makeup wipes with her. (F/n) shut her eyes tightly and allowed him to finish taking it off.

"There." His fingers lingered under her chin for a bit longer. When she opened her eyes, she nearly took a step back. He was so ... so close. "Perfect." Her heart skipped a beat even if it was wrong for such a thing to happen on the day of that man's funeral despite him having cheated on her.

Just as she was about to take in his features all the better, he turned away from her and put the bottle back in the car. He closed the door and motioned for her to follow. "Let's head in."