"Hey!" you playfully punched his arm, "not relevant! Let's just make these waffles."

"Did I hear someone mention Descartes, the father of modern philosophy?" Quince walked in. Jason rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, just chatting about the very sad version of Captain Hook."

"He does kind of look like a depressed captain Hook," Quince nodded intently. "How'd he come up though?" He looked at you, "Are you seeing things?'

"That's not it," you started, but you immediately thought of your horrible dream. "I was just having some trouble wrapping my head around all of this. I mean it could be a terrible dream, and maybe I'm not dead at all..."

Quince nodded, "Could be. But terrible? Are we bad hosts, (y/n)?" He put his hand over his heart and jokingly sobbed. You laughed at his antics.

"Not terrible. Poor choice of words, I'm sorry," you smiled.

"You're doing a bad job of 'helping' (y/n)!" Jason reminded you and stuck his tongue out.

"Oh! Sorry! I'll start mixing the liquid ingredients," you scrambled to the fridge and pulled out some eggs. "What have you been reading, Quince?" you called over your shoulder.

"Nothing much, really. I picked up one of those novelty Wizard Spellbooks that people sell to weirdos. It's full of beautiful illustrations and shitty advice."

"Sounds fun," you nodded. "So, we're just here for eternity to... chill out and read books and shit?"

"That and melting a cup of butter please," Jason spoke while pulling out the waffle iron.

"I mean, basically," Quince shrugged. "Your mind will be more durable than you realize. And, although we can't 'leave' the house, there is probably more rooms than you realize, including a garden area."

"A garden? How? With, the whole lack of sun situation?"

"Same way anything around here works," Quince pointed upward. "The higherups take care of it."

"I don't understand," you breathed out while slowly pouring the melted butter over the rest of the liquid ingredients. "What was the point of anything? I mean, why did anything bad on earth happen if the Higherups can do this?"

"Does there have to be a reason?" Jason asked before taking your bowl and pouring it into his dry ingredients and mixing.

"I, I don't know," You paused. "I just hate to think that all the suffering on earth happens for nothing."

Quince shook his head, "Most things happen for no reason at all. Terrible things happen to good people, and it's just a coincidence in the grand scheme of things. Really, I think it's a good thing. "He paused. "No one was born to suffer. Trauma is not a destiny. Pain is not proof that someone deserves it. Do you see what I mean?"

You nodded slowly, "I haven't thought of it like that before. "

"I just get tired of people saying that you get hurt because it's in 'God's plan.' I can't accept the idea that the higherups wrote a story for me and that story was for me to die before I had lived on the earth for even three decades. I prefer to believe that life is just unfair. That our misfortunes don't have to reflect anyone's inner worth."

"Waffles are ready," Jason announced.

Suki skipped in, "What smells good!" she half yelled while bouncing her way to you, "Must be you, angel!" You laughed as she casually threw an arm around your shoulder. "No wait, hmmm. (y/n) you smell like abandonment and betrayal. I can't believe you left me for Jason!" She playfully pouted.