Chapter 6: Her Butler, Risky.

Start from the beginning

“Confound that girl!” He yelled in anger. He was just about losing it now. The kind man that the Ashdown family had known, once a dear friend to the family, would now look like a complete stranger to them. He had seemingly done everything but lose his mind as he dashed into the hallway of the weaving mansion, muttering to himself as he sped around the corners. He stopped and gently placed his hand over a pocket on the inside of a waistcoat that he wore, grabbing something. He had reached the Mistress’ office. Before entering, he smiled to himself. “Here we shall meet, heathen.”

Tobi let out a deep sigh. “Oh dear… Fr. Pettingale…  What a mess you’ve made.” He stood at the entrance of the library, looking straight into the what was once, tidy, room. Just this morning. Tobi peered around the door and looked at the old clock that was hanging on the wall just near the window. He sighed again. “Nearly that time already… If this doesn’t hurry up, afternoon tea will run late… And I have this room to tidy yet… Oh well, I had better get started.” With that, he swiftly turned around and walked down the hallway, heading straight to the office, smiling.

By this point, Roger was standing still behind the desk, looking out of the window. He sighed almost despairingly before raising his arm and placing his hand under his chin. Once again, the paperwork was strewn all over the floor and so were all of the books containing some form of notes in the room. “This is impossible…” He began. “Where on earth could it be?!” He yelled in frustration, placing his hands on the window-ledge. After a few silent seconds, the man started to chuckle under his breath. “Of course…” He laughed. “She’s definitely your daughter. She’s had the blasted thing all along…” He sighed. “And you… Heathen. Where do you fit into this puzzle?” Roger finished, slowly turning to face Tobi who was standing silently in the doorway, staring right at him; smiling in reply. 

“I can fit anywhere in the puzzle that I am required. The young Mistress sits in the centre. However, it is unfortunate, but; there are a few puzzle pieces missing, making the picture’s depiction unclear. The true question here is in fact, where do you fit in?” Tobi placed his hands under his chin, tilting his head. 

Roger was not the least bit impressed by the riddle and question that he had received. The fact that he had received this kind of answer from a demon who was also smiling at him as if there wasn‘t a clear hatred in the room, made it all the more worse. This was more than enough to tip the scales. “Silence!” Roger yelled, quickly putting his hand into his waistcoat pocket and pulling out what appeared to be a cross and threw it forward; straight at the demon. Tobi’s eyes widened as he realised the danger of the weapon coming straight at him at break-neck speed. Swinging himself to the side, Tobi just managed to dodge the attack from the sharp cross blade in time. With a loud ‘THUD’ the cross became lodged into the wall of the hallway, causing a crack to appear that would have to be fixed later on. “Heaven’s blade… The Scared Cross. The fact that someone like yourself is fledged to be wielding such a weapon. This is interesting.” Tobi spoke, straightening himself up. 

The Sacred Cross is a blade made of pure silver, and is filled with exorcising qualities; making it the ideal and perfect weapon for people who were of God, and couldn’t stand the sight of creatures belonging to Hell, or were classed as evil. Werewolves, demons, almost anything could fall to this weapon. Angels and Grim Reapers however would be a little more difficult to take down. 

“Indeed. It seems even someone of your breed understands quality. The blade also has the ability to change size according to the size of it’s master’s target and how it is thrown. You should also know that you are going to perish here in this room.” Roger smiled back at the demon before raising his hand, calling back the great weapon. It managed to shake it’s way out of the crack in the wall, causing handfuls of rubble to fall out with it. The blade itself flew at Tobi once more, just missing him by a hair again as he moved his head to the side, as the cross had now got itself wedged into the lower window ledge, causing yet another crack that would need repairs.