Princeton Short- Story: Never Safe

Start from the beginning

Princeton let go of your hand so you guys could run side by side.

Prince: “(YN) run!!”

You chased beside Prince as his legs carried him faster. You could hear the sound of the two older boys running behind you guys as they made their way with flashlights.

You and Prince were in front of the two boys by only a few feet and they were steady getting closer.

You: “Prince!!”

Prince: “(YN), faster!!”

You struggled to keep up with his swift feet as you guys pushed through trees and thick bushes, leaving scratches and scars all over your legs and arms.

Albert: “Get back here now!”

Your legs and arms ached as you continued running, inches behind Prince. You kept your eyes on his large afro the entire time, making sure not to lose sight of him. You and his ducked under branches and jumped across logs as you made your way to safety. The only place close to here that was safe was the town a few yards away. Of course the quicker way would’ve been the street but you guys had to take the woods to get away.

Prince: (YN)! Keep running!”

You were beginning to see the streets lights of the town several feet away as your breathing became uneven and rigid.

The larger boys were still close behind flashing their lights all around as their heavy feet broke through sticks on the ground.

The closer you came to the town the more Prince began slowing down, to the point where you and him were running side by side again.

You: “Prince keep going! The town lights are right there!!” *Pulling him by his pajama shirt*

Prince: “(YN), I’m so tired.”

You: “NO! C’mon!”

Prince: “I can’t breathe!”

You ignored Prince and continued to pull him along side you as you ran. Your legs left like Jello but you knew you had to keep running. If Albert and James brought you back you’d be as good as dead.

As you and Prince finally made it to a vacant street lined with street lights you looked around at your surroundings. Several feet away was a subway station. You pulled you and Prince towards it quickly as the sounds of feet followed.

You and Princeton sprinted down the subway steps and into the half-way empty station as people swiped their cards through the fare gates to get in. You and Prince didn’t bother swiping cards or buying Metros. You and he simply crawled under the gates and onto the platform where people were waiting for the train.

Behind you Albert and James came running into the station, spotting you and Prince shaking. The lights of the train came into sight as it made its way around the corner. The lights shined brightly into you and Prince’s small eyes as you jumped up and down in anticipation for the train to come.

Albert and James tried crawling under the gates like you and Prince had but were unable to because of their size. The train inched closer and closer as the seconds ticked by, feeling like hours. Your heart was pounding in your chest as you anticipated the arrival of the train.

Sweat beads ran down Princeton’s forehead as he breathed heavily.

Your hands dripped with sweat as you hopped up and down.

The train loudly knocked against the steel tracks as if began to come to an abrupt stop, squeaking as it slowed down.

James and Albert had angrily went back to purchase a metro card and were now clicking in the numbers for a card.

The train doors opened.

James and Albert paid five dollars.

Princeton pulled you in the train.

James grabbed the paid metro card.

People loaded into the train, unaware of what your situation is.

Albert and James come running towards the fare gate to swipe their cards.

The train doors began to slowly close, letting out a loud airy noise.

Albert swipes his card, Error: Card swiped to fast please try again.

Doors now inches from closing.

James swipes his card and pushes open the metal gate back, allowing him to come rushing towards the doors right as they close.

You and Princeton stand, inches from the closed doors in your dirty pajamas as James and Albert pound their fists against the doors.

The train takes off.

Prince and you slowly walk from the doors as people sit and stare. You and Prince sit in the cold, blue seats as nothing but silence fills the train. Prince is breathing heavily, pushing back his hair as you sit beside him with your short, tangled hair resting roughly around your dirt- smeared face. Prince finally looked at you for first time since the escape and smiled at you weakly.

Your eyes began to swell with tears as you looked back at him. He slowly reached down and grabbed your hand, squeezing it in his.

Prince’s light, young voice finally broke the silence between you two.

“Its okay (YN), your safe now… we’re safe now.”

But two seven  year olds alone in the city were never safe.

 Little did you know that this was just the beginning.

 Both of you would be tied together by the hip from this point on.

This was you two’s journey… together.