A cool breeze stirred me awake. Confusion settled in as my eyes fluttered open to the afternoon light streaming through my bedroom. The balcony doors stood ajar, curtains dancing lazily in the wind. Had I forgotten to close them? Anxiety knotted in my stomach at the thought of being so careless. Yet, as I rose to secure the doors, the air felt different—charged with possibility, much like my own heart.

I made my way downstairs, feeling refreshed from the nap I most desperately needed. Everything was quiet. The tv screen was black in the living room, no lights were on in the kitchen, everything was how I left it. Not even the sound of Ron, blasting his work out music from the basement made it's way to my ears. I knocked on Ron's bedroom door and yelled his name. No response. I opened it slightly, trying to listen to see if he was talking on the phone or something. No sound. I went down the stairs to his domain and looked around. Apart from the untidy piles of clothes strewed around the room, there was no sign of my brother. I went back upstairs and decided to give Trish a call. The overwhelming need to tell someone about my night was too strong and I had to tell Trish of course.

Her phone rang about five times and then went to her voice. ' Hey, you've reached Trish. Sorry I'm not available but leave me a message and I will call you back.' I hung up when I heard the familiar beep to start speaking to leave a message. I plopped onto the couch, feeling the need to be productive in some way. No Ron, Trish or Lori, and unfortunately no missed calls from Derek. It was probably too soon to expect a call from him. I glanced through my phone and saw his contact information. At least he hadn't lied about putting his number in. I contemplated calling him or sending him a message, but I didn't want to appear desperate in any way. One of the things I learned in life was that a woman should never chase a man. Let him come to you, so that's what I planned on doing.

Feeling the build up of energy and my new found fresh feeling, I wondered if it would be appropriate to pay a visit to the farm. They told me to come by anytime. Even if they didn't need my help with anything today, the drive would be nice. I got dressed in some clothes that I didn't mind getting dirty and I went off on my solo adventure to hopefully put in a day's work at Mitchell's farm.

The scent of freshly turned earth and sun-warmed hay greeted me as I stepped out of the car at Mitchell's farm. The sky above was a canvas of brilliant blue, and my skin drank in the warmth like it was quenching a thirst. With that invigorating air wrapping around me, I found the weariness that had clung to my bones melting away. As I approached the house, I saw the familiar blonde locks of Ross, with a questionable smile.

"I didn't think we would ever see you again." He said, jokingly. His familiar white smile had a different effect on me now. Perhaps it was because my feelings were now in another place, but his kind smile was always going to be something I never got tired of seeing.

"You didn't scare me away yet." I said back. I went in to give him a small embrace but he kindly put his hand up, gesturing to the fresh mud splatter on his shirt. I stepped back with a nod.

"Did you come to work or just to visit." He said, looking down at my clothes. I glanced down at my own outfit thinking that the paint stains on my jeans indicated that I was ready to work. Compared to his attire, it probably looked like I was ready for something more formal.

"I was hoping to do a little work today." I offered.

"Great! There isn't too much to do, but after I'm done unloading the hay, I have to take the horses for a run." He started to put on a gray pair of heavy-duty gloves.

"Well get me a pair of gloves and let's get going." I said, enthusiastically, and I meant it. He smiled and gave me a chuckle as he was probably contemplating if I'd be physically capable of unloading bails of hay.