Quiet

You lay on the bed next to a sleeping Carl as you lace your fingers with his. It was about 4:30 in the morning and you were going out of your mind. You reach into the pocket of your jeans and pull out the pregnancy test you took earlier. You examine it, staring at the 2 lines on the stick as Carl stirs, moving so his head rests on your chest and your arm is resting on him. You sigh as you being to wonder again.

You could run away. But that wouldn’t solve anything and you couldn’t bare to part with Carl. You could tell him but you were afraid of how he would react. You didn’t know whether he’d be so happy that he’s basically beaming or you didn’t know whether he’d be so angry that steam could be coming out of his ears. Those were the only options. No matter how scared you were you’d never give up your’s and Carl’s baby.

You sigh deeply but quietly careful not to wake Carl up and you stare up at the ceiling as you feel nauseous before you start to feel your eyes droop so you put the stick back in your pocket and then let yourself fall deeper and deeper.

When you wake Carl isn’t beside you and then you immediately freeze. Your hands fly down to your pockets but when you feel the stick you breath a sigh of relief. You move to stand up but when you do you feel the sudden urge to be sick. You rush to the bathroom but when you get there the door is locked. You bang on the door as you breath in and out and then you are greeted with Carl, smiling when he sees it’s you but frowning when you push past him.

“Are you okay?” Carl asks as his hands move to rub over your back, soothing you. You shake your head, still hunched over the toilet. He kneels down beside you once you flush the toilet. You stay sat on the floor as you try to calm yourself. He looks at you and lays a hand on your cheek and you lean into his touch. “What’s wrong? Are you ill?” He whispers. Your eyes flutter shut as your heart quickens and you smile at him.

“Nothing’s wrong. Just got a little dizzy that’s all, i’m fine.” You murmur as you stand from the floor, Carl following. You leave the bathroom and enter the bedroom as you sit on the bed. You breath in deeply, your hand moving to your stomach before getting up and walking back into the bathroom. Carl must’ve gone downstairs because when you switch the shower on you realise he isn’t upstairs anymore. You take your clothes off, chucking them to the side before stepping in. You let the water fall down your back before moving your head so the water covers your face.

You put your clothes back on before leaving the bathroom and going down the stairs. You see Rick with Judith and you walk into the kitchen.

“You alright?” You are greeted by Michonne and before she leaves the kitchen she stops. “Everything alright with you and Carl?” She asks while her hand touches your arm in a comforting way. You look down at your arm and then look back up.

“Of course. Why?” You question, still staring Michonne in the eye. She looks at the door then back to you before sighing.

“Carl just came down the stairs and he looked pretty angry. When we asked what was wrong he just stormed out of the house.” She huffs. Your brows furrow as your mind rushes. You think but the more you think the more confused you get. Then your eyes widen as you go stiff. Your eyes wide, almost bulging out of their sockets and your breathing deep. You move your hand to the pocket of your jeans and pat vigorously. Carl must’ve found the test in your pocket when your clothes were on the floor when you showered.

Your mind blanks as you forget everything for a second before you run to the door of the house and leave. You search for Carl from the doorstep but when you can’t see him you find someone.

“Have you seen Carl?” You spot Carol in the street as she walks and as you breath harshly, her face turns from cheerful to confused.

“Yeah I just saw him. He went into the chapel.” She says and without even thanking her you rush past her. You reach the front doors of the chapel and try to calm yourself. You take a deep breath in and then push the door open and you are met with a pacing Carl holding the pregnancy test in his hand. He doesn’t look up when you walk towards him but utter something inaudible to you. You stop walking and wait for him to look at you.