Autumn's warning

The cold begins to hush the songs of summer, going for another year, leaving me behind.

Do you know what you are doing, what you are causing? The rest of the world settles down to slumber. As does my soul.

And yet you do it year after year, the icy wisps begin to creep. The shards of ice weigh down my spirit and dull my vision. It is all to come soon, as winter approaches. 

Such is Autumn's warning.

The animals hide and the trees retreat. Life gets harder for all as the food becomes scarce. Such a harsh change for those in this world. 

But soon the dark nights and ever-shortening days. You take away our light and warm, leaving a bleak and cold husk in its wake.

I can hear it, footsteps and ticking as it draws nigh. The cracked and silent laughter and the grip that is tightening.

Such is Autumn's warning.

The leaves flash orange as an alarm to us all. The squirrel's hurridly search and hide their salvation. 

The dew starts to crisp and bite at the grass, flowers close up and die. The wind starts to nibble before it grows fangs. 

Our clocks are turned back around on themselves, even time itself is altered. Just like my own perspective.

Such is Autumn's warning. 

I know dark and cold days lie ahead, barren and bleak. Deprived of life, or struggling thereof. Only a few specialised creatures dare to step foot on the coming tide. I'd prefer to build a boat and ride out the whole thing. But there is nothing I can do, winter is part of this world, part of Us and part of me. 

So, for now, I'll have to take heed of Autumn's warning.