Mr Crow

Look at you, smart Mr Crow.
Sleek, black and glossy from beak to toe.
Sat upon your dead branch throne. Dragging along omens of death, blood and bone. 

But still, you laugh, great cackles of glee. As you solemnly sit upon the old tree.

And you know what they say, don't you Mr Crow?
That your evil and mean, heart as cold as snow.
That you are a sign of death, a group of crows is called a 'murder'.
Why do they say such things? I really do wonder.

I think you're wonderful, clever and sweet.
As for the death? Because carrion is your meat?

The cycle goes on, you help dispose of the fallen. You clear up the body, there's no life you've stollen.

With so much hate piled up against you, maybe that the cause of your hearty cackle.
You refuse to be weighed down by their chains and shackles.

Refusing to accept the superstitions' tethers,
You give a laugh and ruffle your feathers. 

To prove who you really are, trying to make them smile. To rise above it all in your own Crow-like style.

But it's ok Mr Crow, not all are gullible. There are lots like me, understanding and humble.

Maybe, they were close, being related to death. But a guide to those passing on, as we take our last breath.

We see you flying, helping us cross over. As a friend, good company as our souls Passover.

A misunderstood angel, falsely accused. Yet through it all, you laugh,  mildly amused.
There are so many like you, scavengers of deceased.
Yet you alone carry the reputation of a beast.

Who are humans to choose what is right and what is not? We kill and devour more animals then any of you lot.

To you, we are more Gods of destruction. The bringers of death, suffering, habitat reduction.
As for us, you have every right to fear our kind.
Humans are selfish, ignorant and blind.

Expect a few, who care deeply for all. Any creature that flies, swims, walks or crawls.
We see past these horrible labels. We see the beauty in your life and the system it enables.

One day, they'll see it too.

But for now, Mr Crow, keep doing your best.
It's reassuring to know you'll be there for me, and I, for you,
when my body goes to rest.