chapter twelve

chapter twelve

    Imagine you finally got the courage to ask that attractive girl at work out—lets call her Karen; the pair of you decide to go on a quaint lunch-date on the upper east side, and you are sweating excessively—you've already set your elbow in the small tray of butter that sits on the edge of the table. This date couldn't practically get more awkward, until your basic small talk is interrupted by the shouts from the table next to yours.

"SO YOU FUCKED."

"Mindy please stop."

"OH MY GOD YOU HAD SEX WITH HIM, DIDN'T YOU."

Asia blushed—her heart racing as she glanced around the crowded sidewalk café, her eyes grazing each individuals face briefly, searching for anyone who might know her. "Mindy," she moaned "You can't have sex when you're pregnant."

Which of course is the farthest thing from the truth, but Asia relied on the fact that Mindy had slept through that section of health class—they both had failed it obviously—but unfortunately for her, Mindy narrowed her heavily makeuped eyes at her roommate.

"You can too, my Mom had sex when she was pregnant with Rod." She protested—Rod was her younger brother who lived in Chicago with their cousin who owned a bakery (their special was jelly donuts)—but Asia was far from impressed.

"Rod is an idiot." She snapped.

"That has nothing to do with my parents getting down while he was growing inside her, and you know it." Mindy fired back, crossing her lightly freckled arms across the baggy blue material of her dress. "But was he still good?—like has his willy lost his silly?"

"We didn't have sex." Asia hissed, "W-we talked."

"You only stutter when you talk about Calum." Mindy pointed out, taking a pointed sip out of her lemonade; ignoring her roommate's lame excuse. Of course they didn't have sex, Mindy had to hold herself back from rolling her eyes as she listened to Asia ramble on about their conversation. The two of them were annoying—Calum acted like he wanted to marry her half the time, while the other half of the time he acted like he wanted to move to Brazil—and evacuate this entire situation.

"I don't love him."

Mind'e eyes snapped up from her phone where she was sexting Jeff, her jaw hanging slightly open in an ironic manner—her fingers frozen above her phone, the dirty words only half typed below her touch.

"What the fuck?" she finally mumbled.

Asia rolled her eyes, feeling her stomach twist beneath her—it was the baby this time, not the fear.

"Excuse me?" a thin voice broke their silence—turning they found a neatly put together couple, the one talking had a smudge of butter on their left elbow.

"I don't mean to interrupt."

"Well ya did." Mindy interjected rudely, earning swift kick under the table from Asia and her sturdy 'I'm pregnant, and now I have to where shoes that I bought from the GAP during their 45% off sale' shoes.

"Anyways—it's just me and Karen were attempting to have a lovely afternoon, but we keep getting interrupted by your loud outbursts of foul language." They bit the tips of their lips, obviously proud of themselves for standing up to the angry girls—Karen was gazing with adoration at the figure—Asia smiled slightly; Mindy frowned.

"Look pal, back the hell up. My friend here is pregnant, and she just told me that her and her baby-daddy don't love each other anymore—which wouldn't be that big of deal, but now it means that I'M the one with the stable relationship now, and I can't handle that—"

"We're leaving sorry for bothering you." Asia gushed, grabbing Mindy's arm and pulling her swiftly out of the padded chair, "we apologize for ruining your date—um the two of you make a wonderful couple."

As they stood on the street corner, neither moved to signal for a cab as they leaned against the cool stone foundation of a building—a strange pair they had turned in to. During High School, Asia had always worn the pleated skirts and knee socks—her hair had always been pulled away from her face and a pair of glasses seemed to be glued to her eyes; while Mindy rarely wore underwear and most commonly had more body glitter than clothing on.

But now Asia was six—almost seven—months pregnant, and Mindy was wearing underwear, but in a city so eccentric, they still managed to stick out.

"Why don't you love him?"

Her question came as a surprise to her, although Asia had been expecting it for a long time—she shrugged, her shoulders knocking against the wall. "I'm not sure—I just know I don't love him now, maybe I did once." She paused, the world before swimming in her line of vision, the words she wished to fathom into understandable sentences spun around her head in lazy circles.

"Or maybe I didn't."

Mindy dropped her gaze to her phone for a moment, "Well we're fucked."

Asia laughed softly in agreement—her eyes following a couple that moved easily down the sidewalk, their hands woven together, their laughter mixing together and chiming in with the chaos of the city.

"Perhaps love is fucked."

If this was a cheesy sitcom the camera would've zoomed outwards and panned over the Hudson river, a bubbly voice narrating the thoughts that summed up the episode, and in the end everything would've settled down to it's place. Perhaps Asia would've walked four blocks in the rain to find Calum, and their lips would wordlessly find the others—or maybe Asia would've found comfort in Mindy's arms, leading you to wonder if their friendship was just that or more. Maybe she would've ended up with Michael, her cold hands intertwined with his warm ones as he poked her cheeks and laughed at his own jokes about her name, or maybe Asia would've bumped into a complete stranger who took one look at her and breathed,

"this is it, this is her."

But Asia found herself sitting on a bench in the park six blocks away, her lips finding comfort in a hot tea—she had hugged Mindy goodbye thirteen minutes ago, promising to make her a godparent to her future child, her thin hands were grasped around the cup; not around Michaels fingers—and as for the stranger? She did bump in to a man who looked at her like she was the entire universe, before he noticed the moon blossoming from her stomach.

"Love is fucked." She repeated to herself, but shortly her life would be filled with much more important things than her budding vendetta towards love.

--

dedicated to mashtxn bc yaknow ive always been rlly obsessed with her so this is my way of sayING HELLO I AM WENDY AND U R COOL!!!!!!!!!

PS THE ACCENTS ON THE LETTERS ARE ANNOYINg me srry

this chapter made me rlly happy bc it a) had YOU in it!!!! b) cleared up how asia felt about calum c) is leading up to the REAL drama thats about to come!!! ah!!!!

also nothing is happening between mike and asia, its just a bunch of yall were commenting like 'omg!! i ship them!!' so i was like okay lets do this alright mike r u ready lets toss u in

and its kinda funny bc he's like never gonna know--but he does have a slight crush on asia (but he'll never tell her because she's calums girl, even when she isnt)

HOW DO U FEEL ABOUT THIS CHAPTER TELL ME HOW U FEEL COMMENT AND TELL ME BELOW :-)

also i'd like 2 thank a rocket to the moon for helping me write this!!! hello!!! yes!!!! favorite band omg

how are yall

im v excited bc everythings gonna unfold quite soon, and it's jUST GONNA BE FANTASTIC YAY

with all my love,

weNDy

(you are welcome camz)