"Would now be an okay time to talk about your face?" she inquired, her words stern.

"Why not," I replied with a sigh as I turned around.

I honestly wanted to keep quiet, knowing how much this would worry my mom, but she'd keep insisting until I said something. She led me into the family room and I sat down on the couch. It was extremely comfortable, and I leaned back into it, the softness soothing the dull soreness in my ribs. I quickly sat back up, realizing my mom was right next to me, expectantly waiting for an explanation.

"I didn't want to say anything about this, but," I confessed. "I got into a fight."

"What?!" Mom's voice grew louder with shock and concern. "Why?"

"I honestly don't know the reason why," I replied, running my fingers through my now messed up hair.

"This is exactly the reason why I wanted to homeschool you," she sighed, putting her hand on my shoulder.

"Mom, I'm not helpless, you know," I retaliated, not realizing the amount of anger that would be in my voice. "I can take care of myself, and I have friends there."

There was no response. I groaned, not meaning to sound as frustrated as I felt. She means well, but she doesn't understand that not having sight isn't as big of an issue that she thinks it is. At least to me it isn't/

"I didn't mean it like that," I said, a bit softer. "I just don't want to leave my friends."

Without a warning, I felt a pair of arms gently wrap around me. I returned the hug gratefully, feeling a bit better after spilling the beans, but even more so that she wasn't too terribly mad.

"Just be careful, please?" she pleaded into my shoulder. "You don't know how much I care about you."

"I will, I promise," I stated as she gently let go.

"Um, not to ruin the moment, but can Zach play plushies with me?" Hayleigh asked politely from the doorway. "I'm bored."

I turned towards the direction of her voice, a smile growing across my face. "Sure, Hayleigh."

"Oh, Zach?" my mom's voice exclaimed before Hayleigh could drag me out of the room.

I stopped in my tracks, slightly caught off guard. "Yeah?"

"I scheduled an appointment with an eye specialist at the hospital I was telling you about on Friday," she noted. "In case you still want to try the surgery."

I nodded vigorously, clearly getting anxious about the whole surgery thing. "That's totally fine," I replied, my muscles tensing up a bit from excitement.

"I'll have to pick you up an hour after lunch, since the appointment is at 5, and the hospital is about three hours away," she added. "Is that okay?"

"Sure!" I responded as Hayleigh gently grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the room, laughing.

Hayleigh led me into her room and shut the door. I sat down on her bed, which was almost as comfortable as the couch, so I laid down.

"Zach, you're messing up the pillow!" complained Hayleigh, grabbing the pillow from under my head.

"Sorry, Hayleigh," I let out a fake sigh as I sat up, a smile on my face.

I heard her small footsteps run across the room as she went to grab something, which I assumed to be a toy, then she came back, putting something in my hands.

"You can play with Teddy," she said, closing my hands around the teddy bear.

"Why'd you name him Teddy?" I asked, and my lips turned upwards into a grin. "Why can't I name him Larry?"