---Chapter Thirteen---

The mangled, dead tree that stood next to the faded red door looked shorter than it did a few days before. Percy looked back at Nico, who, with a gloved hand, gave him a reassuring pat on his shoulder. He inhaled confidence and opened the door, and the sight he anticipated since the beginning of the journey faced him.

The rocky slope descended deeper into the cave and ended at a giant, metal Vault door, engraved with a large 101. He smiled, although his emotions were weighing him down.

"That's the Vault?" Nico asked.

Percy nodded, approaching the large door that led to his home. He heard the three other's footsteps behind him, which made him feel a bit better. At least he was not alone. He surely was not looking forward to saying goodbye to them.

He connected his Pip-Boy to the terminal at the door and typed in the password that was stored in his notes. Loud, metallic noises sounded, and he unplugged his device, returning his arm to his side and waiting nervously for the Vault door to roll open for him like it did before.

Nico stood at his side, a despondent expression on his face. Without a doubt, he thought of the Vault he escaped from. Percy tapped him on the shoulder.

"Hey, it's okay. This one's okay."

He nodded, thankful for Percy's attempt to console him. He considered leaning against him, but the Vault door rolled over and disappeared, showing a room full of grates. Guards rushed from the Atrium to see who had entered. They were armed with 10 mm pistols and batons, thick armor and helmets as apparel.

The group of four stood idle, until the officers observed Percy's jumpsuit and lowered their weapons.

"I'm back," he told them. "And I brought some friends along."

"Paladin Commander Burke," the eldest man introduced. "This is Knight Provowsky and Initiate di Angelo. We're here to inspect your vault."

The guards seemed surprised at his introduction, but they seemed convinced. "We need to take you to the Overseer."

Percy, Nico, Theo, and Burke followed them down the stairs to the Atrium.

"Knight Provowsky and I will negotiate," Burke ordered Nico as they reached the bottom. "You and the Vault Dweller will stay down here."

He nodded, giving a Percy a demure smile. He was thankful, as he knew that he would have to say goodbye to him soon, and he wanted to spend as much time with Percy as he could.

Percy was right: Vault 101 was very different than Vault 111. The Atrium was a large room that was circled with grated walkways in the upper level, beneath the giant dome that protected the Vault from the terrain above. Automatic doors opened, and people walked through them. People in identical blue and yellow jumpsuits conversed. Some of the residents looked over at the two boys, curious why they looked different. They made Nico feel out of place.

"C'mon, Nico, I want to show you around," Percy grinned.

He nodded, albeit hesitantly, and followed Percy through one of the automatic doors and down a set of stairs. He opened another door at the bottom of the stairwell, and was met with a red-and white tiled floor. A cordial woman stood behind the counter, serving people food. Once she looked up from the person she was serving, she saw Percy and a large smile graced her lips.

"Percy! I was wondering when you'd come back." She gave him a hug. "You're filthy, dear. You should wash up. So, how did it go?"

"It went well," he discontinued the hug so he could properly talk to her. "I brought them here. Oh, here's someone I really want you to meet. This is my friend, Nico."