Caught

"Here honey, take this to the table."

Yasmine took the bowl of fruit to the living room coffee table and waited for her mom to return with cups and water.

"So tell me, anything new?"

"Well there's actually a new position at my job. A managerial position and of course higher pay."

Yasmine's mom rose her eyebrows in interest, "Oooo. You're gonna put in your application?"

"Yeah. I'll be running up against this one girl at my job that's been there a little longer."

Her mom waved her hand dismissively as she picked at the fruit, "Ah you'll get it. You got the brains for it."

Yasmine chuckled, "Well there's a lot more to it but I appreciate the vote of confidence."

"Tell me if you get an interview."

"I will. Anything new with you?" Yasmine asked, nibbling on a strawberry.

Her mom thought for a moment, "Well I joined a dance class-"

"Oh really?"

"Mhmm. It's really fun. You should come to my class sometime."

"I don't know about that but I'll let you know."

"My job is the same, neighbors are the same. Hmmm oh also I found a new outing for me and the girls to go."

Yasmine smiled in amusement, "That's good."

"How are you and Jack?"

Yasmine swallowed her fruit, the food scratching at her throat on the way down, "We're doing good as usual."

"So?"

Yasmine lifted her eyebrows, "So?"

"When is he gonna pop the question?"

Yasmine's eyes widened, "Oh mom I don't know, not any time soon I think."

"You've been together for two years no? I think he's going to ask soon."

Yasmine cringed, "Yeah I don't know mom, maybe."

"You should start thinking about settling down. You're going to be twenty-three next year."

"I know." She popped another fruit into her mouth, chewing as her mom droned on.

"And I know it's still way to early to think about grandchildren but I would still like some or at least one and Jack seems like a such good boy. He's always so charming when we all go out for dinner. Are you sure you two aren't fighting?"

Yasmine gave a dry laugh, "Yes mom. We're fine."

Her mom watched her for a moment before smiling, "Alright well did I tell you about my partner I have for dance class?" Her mom fanned herself comedically.

Yasmine shook her head and listened as her mom began to tell her about her dance class and her hot young dance partner, wondering if she should tell her mom about the new feelings she's been having lately.

~.~.~.~.~.~

Brushing through her hair, Yasmine listened to her friends talk animatedly through her phone about everything.

"Yasmine you're quiet." Luna pointed out, making the others quiet.

"Ah yeah I was just thinking sorry."

"About?" Jessie asked.

"Let me guess," Lexi said, a humorous tone in her voice, "A certain someone named David and a certain boyfriend named Jack?"