Chapter 8: Anew

I went to bed right after I put Eve in her room, & I wake up in cold sweats. For some reason, I keep worrying over her, even though she's safe in this house. I know she won't run away, where & how would she? This place is a bit too massive; I get lost sometimes too, & I live in it! But, then again, why would she stay with a stranger... I mean, she's not a complete stranger to me, but I may be a complete stranger to her, since I changed everything up after we graduated.

Since we graduated two years ago, my parents were working at the time. Both of them. When they came home two years ago on August 28th, 2015... All Hell broke loose. But, I don't want to think of that now... My head is starting to hurt. I get up & walk to the kitchen. 5:27 a.m. Still enough time to get an hour or so of more sleep. I grab a glass cup & fill it with water. I drink it down in one gulp. My headache isn't going away...

I go to the medicine cabinet next to the refrigerator & take a bottle of Advil out. I shake two pills into my hand & swallow it without any water. Mistake. Idiot... I refill my cup & down it again. God, I'm so stupid. I massage my temples. I go to the bathroom & see if there is a popped blood vessel due to my tiredness & headache. I switch the bathroom light on & reveal my tired face.

Yeup... It's popped, again... I need to start taking care of myself, if Eve needs me at any point, then I have to be in good health at least. I sigh & look at my right eye; it's fine. I grab the eye dropper & drip a drop onto my left eye. Feels better already... Should I recolor my hair? I rub my hair & push it to the side of my head, observing it.

If I do, what color? Red? Blue? Jet Black? I'll ask Eve later... let's see what she has to say about it. I switch off the light & walk out, stretching my arms above my head. I should get some sleep so I can make breakfast tomorrow. I go walk back to my room & fall asleep.

*Two hours later*

I wake up & I see the sun's rays shining against my black curtains. I rub my eyes & get up from my bed. I pull the blankets to make my bed & walk out of the room. I press an ear against Eve's door. I only hear soft snoring & I smile. Her snores are adorable as hell. I make my way to the bathroom & brush my teeth. Bacon & eggs should be fine. Right...? Hopefully, anyway... I take a pan out & put it on the stove. 

I get the refrigerated pack of bacon out & cut it open. Glad I put you in the fridge before I left yesterday. I cut the bacon strips in half & put seven slices of bacon onto the heated pan. Amazing sizzle for amazing food. I grab a pair of chopsticks & flip the bacon. It sizzles again & as it cooks, I get a plate with four paper towels on top. I place the finished bacon onto the plate & let the oil sink into the paper towels.

I was about to put another batch of bacon onto the pan, but then I hear Eve scream. I put the plate of bacon & the chopsticks down & run. Is she alright? Is she hurt? What happened? I started banging on the door. "Are you okay in there? Eve?" My voice cracks a bit, worried that she might have hurt herself or something happened to her.

She cracks the door open, but I was too late to realize it & I trip on the door frame. Uh oh... I stumble onto Eve. Worried I might crush her or her getting in pain, I stop my fall by sticking my hands out & land in push-up position. She's beautiful up close. We both stare at each other, wondering what just happened. She sticks her arms out, pushing me to the side.

I land on my back & quickly sit up."Are you okay, though? & sorry about that..." I reach my hand out to her as I stand up & she grabs it. I pull her up from the wooden floor. "Yeah, I am." That's relieving... But is she mentally fine? The cuts on her thighs says otherwise... "Why'd you yell like that then?" I ask her as I walk to her bed behind her. Yeup... they're definitely there. Best not to bring such a sensitive subject up... We'll talk about it later on, as we grow accustomed to living with each other. 

"Hey, no, I'll fix it. I slept in it, I'm the one who's going to fix it." She says as she rushes over & swats my hands away. "I opened my eyes to the sun's beaming lights, that's why I yelled." She responds to my question as she pulls the lavender sheet towards her, covering the corner of the bed. "You sure?" I question & I go to the other side to pull the sheet, covering that side."Yes, I'm sure, Mason, & something's burning...?" She questions & I look toward the door in a fright. God, I'm so stupid... "AH!" I yell & run to the kitchen.

BACON, I'M COMING!!!  Luckily, there wasn't any bacon that was burning; it was the oil. I breath a sigh of relief. Now I gotta get a new pan... This oil is gone & it's way too hot for the bacon. I put the pan next to the sink & grab a new pan & heat that one on the stove top. As it warms up, I think. She's depressed? Suicidal? Or are those from two years ago? I wish I could know, so I could at least help her...

I hear her room door closing & her footsteps. She walks behind the counter & peer into the kitchen. "How do you like your eggs?" I ask her & rush to the fridge to take a carton of eggs out. "Uh, whichever is easier to make." She responds as she tries to cover her yawn. Did I wake her up too early? Did she not have enough sleep last night? "You should sleep in more, but I want to know your preference because I'm the cook at the moment."

"Do you need any help?" Eve asks as she walks from the counter to me. I look at her, relieved that she asked, because I do need a bit of help. But, she's the guest... I look at her with confusion this time. "No, I think I got this..."   "I want to help, please?" She begs with pleading eyes. You're lucky I love you, otherwise I wouldn't have you helping me. I look into her dull brown eyes. Has her eyes always been this dark?  I sigh & reply, "Sure. Can you make the eggs then? I want whatever kind of eggs you're having, cause I don't care."  "Okay." Eve cheerfully responds.

I end up focusing on finishing the last few strips of bacon & see her placing a skillet onto the stove & cranking the heat to 9/10. Can't help myself... "In my eyes, you're a 10/10. Okay, I'll stop now." I walk away, feeling embarrassed at myself. She stands there all confused. I smile a bit & I finish the bacon. I turn the stove off & see her still stuck in her trance. Maybe I scared her. 

"Eve,  you're going to burn the oil at this rate." I say & she seems to snap out of her trance. "S-sorry." She mutters & whisk the eggs & pours it into the hot pan. I grab plates & set them on the counter. She's finished cooking the eggs & she asks me, "What do you want me to do with-"   "I got it. Go sit down at the dining room table." I interrupt her & grab the spatula & pan from her dainty hands. "O-okay." She stutters & walks over there. I see her getting cups, napkins & forks for us. 

I shake my head ever so slightly. She has a kind soul. She always helps out whenever she can. I put the bacon & eggs onto our plates & bring it over to the set table. I set one of the plates in front of her & I go sit down at the chair across from her. "Thank you, Mason. For everything." You didn't have to even help me anyway... You're just a stranger to me & vise versa & I can't thank you enough." She has tears brimming her eyes. Don't cry, Eve. You're going to make me cry. With concern etched on my face, I get up to hug her. I don't care if I get pushed away this time, as long as she knows I'm here for her, it'll be fine. 

Surprisingly, she doesn't pull away. "You know, there aren't always bad people in the world, there's also good ones too." I say with such sorrow in my voice.  "I'm sorry for whatever happened to you, but know that it's gone & you're my new housemate. I'm happy about the last part. You being my housemate..." He says & pulls away. "Thanks, Mason." Eve says &  she continues eating. 

I look at her & start eating. It's going to be a new chapter for me. I wonder it it'll be a good one. Things might turn out into my favor this time. I'm happy that she's here with me. I smile.

Let's start anew.

(A/N: A friendly reminder, since I've been forgetting to sat it in my chapters... If you do like the story, please consider to vote for the chapters. Thank you!

~G)