Chapter Two

Even though it was noon the sky was dark. An oil lamp cast dull light throughout the room. The flickering flame danced shadows across the pages of the journal Louis worked on. He leaned back in his chair, stretched his long legs under the desk and ran his hands through his golden brown hair. Louis sighed, held his hands behind his head and looked up at the ceiling. A spider was suspended by a silvery thread, twirling and turning its agile body with ease.

Louis looked out of the window. A feeling of emptiness hung over him. Bored. He took another breath. Heavy raindrops beat on the cobblestone courtyard leaving puddles of water scattered across its surface. For two days the weather had been the same. An out of season storm not expected to have lasted this long. Louis wasn't in the mood to be working on numbers and calculations. He peered through the rain trying to see the landscape beyond the mist. What else could he do on a day like this?

His thoughts went to the livestock in the east paddock. He hoped they were secure. There was no protection for them on that side of the ridge. He and Aiden had headed out earlier that morning to move them to safer ground. The force of the weather had driven them back.

A light knock sounded on the door interrupting his thoughts.

"Excuse me, Master."

Louis rolled his head toward the door to see his housemaid. "Yes, Alice."

"Aiden has asked me to tell you that a group of people are crossing the ridge, Sir."

Louis frowned in thought, dropped his arms and rested them on the desk. "Have my cloak ready please, Alice. I'll be there shortly." He looked thoughtfully after her. "Alice!"

She stepped back into the centre of the doorway. "Yes, Master?"

Louis spun on his chair to face her fully. "How long have you been with me?"

Her pleasant face lit up in curiosity. "Why since I was sixteen, Sir...you and Aiden were both nineteen. I'm twenty-three now, Master and as you know not any good at numbers. You'll have to work out the years for yourself."

Louis chuckled. "That'd be seven years, Alice."

She cocked her head to one side. A strand of red hair fell across her face as she grinned. "Are ye plannin' to get rid of me, Sir?"

"It was a consideration." Louis laughed and rocked back in his chair. "I'm sure Aiden would have a word or two to say on the matter, particularly now you are carrying his child and both have your pardons." He grinned and tweaked his eyebrow. "Though they are conditional, so behave yourself."

Alice beamed then looked at him with fake somber respect. "Yes, Master. I am sorry for my insolence."

Louis still smirking crossed his arms. "How long have you got to go?"

"Oh...three months."

His chair rocked as he nodded. "We'll need someone to take over your harder duties. I wouldn't think you'd have a lot of time on your hands with a new baby."

A look of admiration flashed across Alice's face. "Thank you for being so considerate, Master."

Louis nudged his head. "I'll give it some thought, Alice," he said as he turned back towards his books.

Louis had applied for both Alice and Aiden through government assignment. He had brought them with him when he first came to Ashton House. The property was run down when he arrived in 1834.

The fences were in need of repair. The dam was stagnant. Decayed carcasses scattered its banks. The land was rich and fertile but its crops had gone to seed. The house itself was large and rambling, structurally sound. It was nestled amongst groves of Black Locust, Red Gums and Camphor Laurels. These same trees lined the road, which ran from the courtyard at the back and along the north side of the house.

A gatehouse rested among them, dwarfed by their size. The gardens were overgrown and the hothouse had collapsed. Stables and coach-house lined one side of the courtyard. These were newer and large enough to house at least eight horses. Accommodation had been made for milking cows.

There was a small chapel built at the back of the courtyard. It was separated from the stables by a gate. That opening led out to the paddocks on the western side of the property.

The three had worked hard to get the place in order. Louis considered Alice and Aiden more friends than servants.

He had known early on that they were in love. Only after they were freed had he allowed them to live together in the gatehouse. The government of the day had strict rules on such things. Convicts weren't allowed to cohabit, either with other convicts or their masters.

*****

Lightning flashed. Thunder echoed across the sky as Louis left the house. He moved with unconscious ease. In an instant his hair was soaking wet. The cloak draped over his broad shoulders, afforded slender protection against rain and wind of this calibre.

Aiden stood at the courtyard entry.

Louis tilted his head to the sky. "Doesn't look like easing up any time soon does it? Perhaps we'll need to try moving the cattle again tomorrow."

Aiden followed his Master's gaze. "No, Sir. No sign of it slowing, though the lightning's not as aggressive."

Shielding their faces they progressed along the side of the house and stopped at the front.

Through the rain they could just make out the dark shapes of people slowly making their way down the hillside.

Louis raised his voice above the sound of the storm. "I suspect this will be Pead with a line of convicts. They're going to attempt to cross the creek." He pulled his cloak tighter and faced Aiden. "Pead's a stupid man." Louis shook his head in disgust. "I'll need you and George to prepare the stables, plenty of sacking and straw." He glanced over his shoulder to look at the group again. "If I know Pead, they'll be needy and hungry."

"Shall I clear the smith's anvil of tools and make a fire in the furnace?" Aiden stood in the rain wiping water from his eyes, waiting, watching as his master turned to face him.

"Clear the tools but wait until we see how many they are and what condition they're in. I'll not have my barn burnt down for anyone." Louis gripped Aiden's shoulder and then walked away.

Aiden nodded agreement to his master's back, knowing a vengeful prisoner was capable of such a thing. Cold and hunger could forge a beast from the mildest of men.

I hope you like Louis. ♥
Thanks again for reading. xoxo

Copyright © 2018 Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.