Part Twenty-Two

A/N: Wow. Took me long enough! But I did it! xD As for the lucky number stuff, I'm just going to have to dedicate based on who is that number fan as of now xD So that's who this is dedicated to, lucky fan number 34! xD Congrats!  And as always, Peace, Love, and Cherry Pie - B xD

Part Twenty-Two

The door squeaked open slowly, revealing nothing but a dark room. Link's eyes instantly adjusted to the lack of lighting thanks to his tunic, and he found the red Zardence coiled around the top of a pillar, it's yellow eye glowing as it glared at the two in the doorway.

Link stepped inside first, his footsteps echoing loudly across the room. He kept his eyes on the beast as he stepped further into the room. He could see the black blood still dripping from it's head and onto the stone floor with a steady tapping sound.

He heard Raela step into the room behind him, and the cold metal sound of her unsheathing her dagger.

"Can you see?" He asked her quietly.

"Barely." She answered, matching his hushed tone.

"I can see it."

"Where?"

"Ceiling." He kept his eyes on it as the Zardence moved its head just slightly to look at the Wood Sprite. "Don't move." He told her. "It's watching you."

"Okay." She said, he voice barely audible.

"I'm going to try and get it's attention, so you can get a good shot at it. Wait for my signal."

Without waiting for the sprite's reply, Link took a deep breath to steady himself, while looking around for anything in the room that could help him distract the beast. He took note of the chains that littered the room, bolted to the floor, the walls, and even the ceiling. Two or three skeletons hung from a few sets, but he tried to keep his eyes away from them. Using their bones as weapons wasn't something he was in favor of doing. He focused instead on the chains, looking around for... There.

With a starting run, he jumped, hitting the wall with his feet, and pushing off with everything he had. He grabbed the long chain on the ceiling with barely half an inch to spare. The force of his jump caused the chain to swing, and he twisted his body, pulling both his feet up, and with nearly perfected aim, both of his feet slammed into the monsters jaw, knocking it's entire head to the side from the single powerful blow.

The Zardence's head slammed into the adjacent wall and it screamed before lunging itself at Link, jaws open. Reacting quickly, Link let go of the chain he hung from and landed in a roll on the stone floor below.

Not expecting his sudden movement, the Zardence slammed into the next wall head first. It cried out in pain as it bashed it's already open wound into the stone, and then it fell limp, and it's large body hit the floor with a thump.

"Is it-" Raela's voice was cut off with an ear shattering scream, and Link spun around quickly only to find the wood sprite held at the mercy of another. "Solire, please..." Raela's said, her voice strained as Solire's arm constricted around her neck.

"Don't think you can beg your way out of this one Raela. You knew you shouldn't have come." Solire said in a sickly sweet voice.

"What's wrong with you?" Raela asked desperately. "We're friends."

"Were." Solire snapped. "Past tense, my dear. Things change."

"What- happened to- you?" She was losing air.

"The same thing that's about to happen to you."

Link, do something! Hurry! The wisp cried. Before that thing get's up again!

"Solire, let her go." Link said calmly, stepping towards her and Raela.

"Why should I?" She smirked up at him.

"You're killing her."

"Now, isn't that the point, dear hero?"

Link's gaze turned steely, and his eyes fell on the dagger at their feet. "Let her go."

"No." Solire smiled. "I want her to die. That way I won't be alone."

How would killing her make you less lonely? The wisp asked. You-

Solire laughed, cutting her off. "You still haven't figure it out yet, have you?" She shook her head. "Oh, this is just too easy." Her features hardened and she turned her black soulless glare to Link. "You're a fool. You can't save us anymore than we can save ourselves." Her gaze fell behind him for a split second before she looked back at him. "Next time we meet, you won't live to see another day. So get out. While you still can." She took a step back.

Realizing what she was about to do, he started in a run towards her, hoping to be able to save the wood sprite she held, but he wasn't quick enough. In the blink of an eye, she and Raela were gone in a blur, and he could only watch as the stone fell back into place on the ceiling.

"I can save you." He said to no one. "And I will."

Just as he lent down and retrieved the dagger, he felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. He froze, and then he felt the slightest puff of breath ruffle his hair, but by then, it was way past too late.

With a sickening hiss the beast lunged at him, and closed it's large jaws around his body. He let out a cry in agony when the Zardence’s smaller fangs plunged into his left arm and leg, it's larger ones just missing his body. With a strong and quick twist of it's neck, the beast tossed him through the air like a rag doll, and he hit the wall with a grunt before falling in a heap to the ground.

He struggled to get up, his hands balled into fists from the pain of his wounds, but he managed to pull himself up into a sitting position. His ears were ringing loudly and he couldn't hear much else besides that and the pulsing of his heart. With great effort he cracked one eye open, and he saw the blood pouring from his arm and leg. He lifted his chin and found the wisp floating in front of his face, and he could almost hear the murmur of her voice, but he couldn't understand what she was saying from the ringing in his ears. His eyes traveled past her and he found the Zardence literally charging at him, most likely aiming to crush him with it's massive head.

With his last effort, he raised both his fists weakly in front of his face. In moments, he felt pressure on his arms, and he tried to push back with all the strength he had left, and then, to his amazement, the pressure was gone completely.

He forced his eyes open and found the beast swinging it's head around violently, crushing it into the wall a few times as Link struggled to see what was wrong with it. When he caught a glimpse of silver, he remembered the dagger. He'd forgotten he was holding it, and he must have stabbed the Zardence when he'd raised his arms to protect himself. From the looks of it, he must've gotten the dagger right through the cut on it's head. He tried to keep his eyes open as the ringing subsided in his ears. He heard it's final roar as it fell to the ground with a loud crash and stopped moving all together. A few seconds passed, and then it's entire body collapsed into an inky blackness and then exploded in a puff of purple smoke. All that remained was the dagger, and the single yellow orb that posed as the monsters eye - the yellow key to unlocking the next room.

Link! He faintly heard the wisps cry and he turned his head slightly to look at her. Please hang on! You can't die! You have to save Zelda, and Hyrule! There's still so much you have to do! Please! Her voice was breaking as if she was about to cry, and her wispy image was wavering slightly.

He tried to smile at her as his eyes slipped further closed. "I'm not going to die." He whispered just before the darkness over took his mind, and he blacked out.