Part Seven

Hello my lovely nerds! How are we all? Anyone enjoying the new LoZ game as much as me? Anyone beat it yet? Of course you have XD Anyway, here is part SEVEN of my nerdy fanfiction XD You know you love me even though it's late! Oh, and guess what?! There is a new lucky number among us! Wait for it... Lucky number ELEVEN :p lol I'm so predictable. Anyway that's who this is dedicated to XD READ ON! XD -Love- B :)

Part Seven

"People don't come around these woods much anymore, you're the first person I've seen in a while, so when I spotted you passed out in the river I jumped at the chance and rescued you even though it goes against everything I know to trust anyone, especially Hylians. I decided to trust you, under the circumstances." Iredean said.

"What circumstances?" Link asked.

"With the years that my family and fellow villagers have been trapped in these woods, things have happened. Terrible things. People started to disappear, and with each disappearance, a monster would make itself known to us. It'd try and sometimes succeed in killing us sprites. Over the years, it's gotten worse. One monster, the first one we saw, has grown more powerful with each life it's taken. It resides in a tower, deep in the center of these woods, the very same tower we lived in so long ago. Now that it is so powerful, it's threatening the lives of me and my people.

"If we don't do something, my people will soon be lost. Forever." Iredean looked at the young warrior with pleading black eyes. "Of course I won't ask you to do this for me without giving you something in return. I understand from the mind of your companion that you are in need of a sword. I'm sure my people will let you keep the ancient sword found in the monsters lair that has been there since we first came to these woods. It was left there by the soldier that protected us for the duration of our trip into the woods. My people cherish it dearly as a reminder of what happened to us, but this is much more important.

"Will you help save my people?" Iredean asked finally.

Link didn't answer at first, looking to the wisp that floated silently beside him. He needed that sword, and, maybe even as equally important, the wood sprites needed him.

He returned his eyes to the wood sprite, Iredean. "What can I do to help?" He asked.

Iredean smiled. "We'll start tomorrow. You look like you're about to pass out. You'll need your rest for what you'll be up against in the next few days." Iredean’s smile faded. "There are things in this forest that even I don't know about." And then she was gone.

Link, slightly shocked, turned and looked for her, but she was gone without a trace. He sighed and looked up to check the trajectory of the moon. He knew that it'd be sunrise in a few hours, and Zelda would be back to speak with him.

He sat down next to the fire, trying to release the tension in his shoulders from the sudden weight that had been added that day. He took his cap off and found it was now a light forest green.

He could barely believe the day he'd just experienced was even true. He could barely believe he was now away from Torsain, away from his family, and trying to save a land and it's people that he'd never seen before, but somehow felt it was his duty to fulfill. He had a new purpose, a new responsibility.

And he barely even knew how to start to fill it.

- - -

Link woke to warm sunlight on his face, and opened his eyes to find the sun low in the sky. It was just after sunrise, and everything was as he left it last night.

He sat up and rubbed at his eyes. The wisp still floated silently beside him, watching over him, and there was still no sign of Iredean.

Suddenly he remembered the events of the night before and he heaved himself up off the ground. He had a quest to complete. He had to help Iredean and her people, and he had to get that sword.

He walked over the the river, the current seeming calmer than the day before when he'd been riding it. He picked up his belt and hooked it over her waist, and then pulled his now dry boots onto each foot. Finally he placed his green cap back on his head.

He turned to find the wisp behind him.

Link. The musical voice of Zelda filled the early morning air. It seems you've acquired a quest.

He nodded.

It's a good thing. Zelda said. We need to get you that sword if you are to continue on to Hyrule. First we need to focus on getting you to that tower, through the Lost Woods.

"I can do that." Link whirled in shock at the voice and saw that Iredean was suddenly behind him. "You won't get lost if you have me around. I can get you to the tower, no sweat."

That's very kind of you, Iredean, considering all you've been through. My sister has told me about you and your story.

"Yes, it's all very tragic, now isn't it." Iredean said bitterly. "Link, it's now or never. Are you ready?"

He nodded solemnly.

The wood sprite turned her back and beckoned him to follow her. "This way."

Link followed Iredean along the bank's of the river, and they came to a stop at a huge gate in the midst of the large green trees of the forest.

"This is the gate that you should always enter the froest through, otherwise you'll be lost." Iredean turned to look at him. "Take this." She handed him a worn out brown paper. He opened it to reveal a map. "I've modified it since they made it when we came here. The blank spots show the places I haven't been, and the colored in squares show where I have. The lines are the path ways I have discovered. The tower is here, in the middle." She pointed. "The red line is the original path, the safest one. The skulls in the boxes show where known monsters live, and the skulls next to the paths show where they sometimes lurk. You'll want to avoid those as long as you don't have a weapon."

Link nodded in understanding.

"Oh, and if you run into anyone on the way in, just tell them I sent you." She said, backing away from him. "They should back off."

"Wait, aren't you co-" He cut himself off when she disappeared into thin air.

Link, I must go. I'll leave you with my sister for now.

"Zeld-"

She's gone. The wisp said in her childlike voice.

Link sighed. It seemed he was on his own. He turned and faced the white gate that was overgrown with vines and moss. He took a deep calming breath.

"Here goes nothing." And then he stepped though.