"I have only ever loved you."

"You loved her if you gave her a child." 

"I was a child myself.  Evelyn was my first experience, but I didn't love her, hell once I learned how she treated Bub and Mimi, I never spoke to her again."

"What?"

"My father and I went to Virginia to buy the freedom of many slaves.  Bub was sold to Evelyn's father the same day his family was sold.  Mimi was born on their plantation, and my father purchased their freedom."  He said.

"He gave money to their cause is what he did, Oliver.  You call it purchasing their freedom, but we both know what it actually was, so don't try to fool me."  I snapped.  "I never knew you owned them, no wonder Mimi never believed in her freedom."  I said.

"No, we gave them freedom the moment they left with us.  Did you know my father gave Bub his own farm just before he left for Boston?  Bub refused to leave because he liked his life with us."  He said.

"What about Mimi?  She didn't deserve the same treatment because she is a female?" 

"She did, but the law wouldn't allow.  Mimi was never free because she was female.  The same as you and Mae." 

"I guess you like it that way?  Women being dependent on you?  You bedded Evelyn, then just left her like it was nothing."  I said.

"I didn't say it was nothing.  I cared for her, but her treatment of Mimi was much less than desirable.  Evelyn is a true southern woman reared to believe in slavery."

"Then why did you bed her?" 

"I was young, and young men of that age have curiosities."  He said.

"Was she a whore, or were you her first love?"  She asked.

"She claims I was her only love." 

"What do we do now?"  I asked.

"I plan to honor my agreement with Armstrong.  We agreed if he would be betrothed to you and marry you upon my death, he would get everything.  If I survived, he gets half of my estate here in Mauckport.  Although he broke the terms of our agreement when he bedded you, I will honor it for the child's sake, but I will not claim that child publicly.  Unless, either of them ever speak again about your infidelity.  Not to you or anyone else, and if they do, they will never see that child again."

"A child is NOT a bargaining tool!"  I snapped.

"I agree, that's why I will not allow them to use her existance or your infidelity in an attempt to destroy us.  I didn't care for that woman when I left Virginia, and I don't care for her now."  He said.

"You cared for Claudine, and look where that got me.  What are you going to do when she shows up someday?"  I asked.  "What about other lovers from your past?  How many children have you created?"   

He chuckled, and I don't find any of this amusing. 

"Norman himself, I believe, is up there trying to figure out if his past is about to haunt him.  I'll teach our sons' to do better than me, Naomi.  It has never occurred to me that my youth had such consequences.  I regret that child, although every child should be celebrated."  He said.

"Is Norman nervous."  I laughed a little. 

"I believe so, the same thing could happen to Armstrong.  Just so you know, he is also upset with his wife.  She used him to get her here, and he was unaware of my past with that woman until their marriage and journey started.  They made peace, but it seems he has found himself in a marriage without love."  He said.

"The two of you have to stop blaming each other for what happened.  I will speak to Armstrong about this, and somehow we will have to learn to put the war behind us, along with everything that happened during the war."  I said.

"I requested he not be alone with you, and that's a request I have to make of you also."  He said.

"You don't trust me." 

"I didn't say that, Naomi.  It makes me uncomfortable, and I'll give you the same respect as far as Evelyn is concerned."  He said.

"So you're not going to force that child upon me?" 

"The fact remains, that she is my daughter.  It depends on her I guess.  I don't even know if the child is aware, but I do need you to know that I love our Rose even without meeting her or knowing her, and it may be an impossible request if you're asking me to turn my back on another daughter.  Maybe with time you'll grow to enjoy her companionship.  I know you, Naomi. You may be angry now, but it's not like you to hold such grudges against the innocent."  He said.

"I thought when I gave you our children, I was the only one to ever give you such a gift.  Your virtue was given to that woman, and she gave you the one thing I thought was only shared with me."  I stood and cried.  "I'm no more special than Claudine."  I climbed back on my horse. 

"Naomi, you are the only one that has ever given me..." 

"Stop, Oliver.  I've heard enough." 

"Get off that horse, Naomi."  He said. 

"You, my sir, have no right to demand anything from me at this moment."  I left him standing there and will sleep by myself tonight.  Maybe Evelyn can keep him warm through the night.