March 15, 1862

"March 15, 1862

My Love,

I miss you incredibly today.  Our children are growing so quickly. I am afraid you will miss so many milestones.  Ollie looked so much like his father when he woke this morning. 

His hair has darkened, and those big blue eyes have lightened.  He smiled at me before he opened his eyes, then closed them again, but his little smile never faded.

Elizabeth is still fare with brown eyes like myself, but her smile also reminds me of you.  They are a daily reminder of why your absence is so very important at this time.  I do not want our children to live in a world where freedom can only be granted to a few. 

Your letter found us all in good health.  We haven't heard much about Lee's Campaign in Maryland since your last letter.  Will you be going to Maryland?

Your uncles are planning a fine planting season and say it will be a mild summer.  More rebel troops have been spotted near the North in Kentucky.  Too close to the Ohio's banks for my comfort. 

A few days ago, a few Union soldiers made a visit to our home looking for deserters.  Are many deserting the Union?  This only confirms my fears of losing this horrible war.

I hope you, my courageous father, and brothers are in good heath and staying warm during these cold nights.

My darling, our bed is so cold and lonely without you.  I am not ashamed to say I have thoughts of you at night. My body suffers as much as my heart in your absence.  I need you my love, I need you to come home.  Please do not volunteer for more when your time in the Army is over.

Armstrong is growing impatient with your request. You have kept him from the war, but he is restless.  He speaks of children fighting while he lives with such luxuries, and I am not sure he will hold off much longer. 

Two weeks ago, a rebel deserter crossed the banks and visited Elsworth and Mary Coopers farm.  They fed him and provided his necessities before he surrendered in Corydon.  I hope these men can be trusted, as the Union is accepting them into the Army. 

Our letters are becoming fewer and fewer.  Your children keep me very busy, as your son has your appetite.  He will grow to be a strong man like his father.  Dr. Sams says they are both healthy and strong, despite their small birth weights.  Ollie has developed the cutest rolls on his legs.  His cheeks have filled out and he is a bit chunky.  Our daughter is petite, but strong.  Much smaller than her brother, but feisty and demanding.  Ollie is far more patient at feeding time.

I must go and tend to our children, but please write soon.  Your letters mean so much to me.

Love always,

Naomi"

I folded up the letter and waxed it shut, before giving it to Armstrong to mail out.  I haven't been to town for many months, and won't be going until my babies are older. 

I spend my days feeding the twins, and while they nap, I escape outdoors.  Today will be one of those days.  I layed the babies down, and Mae will sit with them until my return.