"I never told Honeypaw we were mates. It was all in her head," replied Heartpaw. "It isn't my fault." 

            "It would have been ok. I was willing to forgive you for doing that to her but you chose a WindClan cat over my sister. That's not forgivable," hissed Lionbreeze and he launched himself onto Heartpaw. Heartpaw dodged, knowing Lionbreeze had no fighting practice but he was driven by hatred and anger. Heartpaw unsheathed his claws. His whole world was being thrown upside down. All he had done was love a cat. 

             "Even if I don't manage to get enough damage as I would like on you, Pinestar will give you a suitable punishment," Lionbreeze grinned. He then raked his front paw out and caught Heartpaw on the chest. Heartpaw growled and leapt. He sunk his claws into Lionbreeze's fur and he tasted sweet blood. He clawed harder and harder then Lionbreeze threw him to the ground and knocked the wind out of him. Lionbreeze pinned Heartpaw down and clawed at his sides. Heartpaw rolled away, panting heavily then he felt Lionbreeze sink his teeth into his neck and he was dragged away. His muscles ached. He knew he hadn't recovered from whatever sickness he had had before. His brain was tired and felt mushy. The world around him swirled in black and white and still, he was dragged. Finally, they pushed into the ShadowClan camp. Lionbreeze let go off him and he was left in silence for a while. Then there were voices. Voices which swirled in his mind and echoed far away. He was aware of Pinestar, Lionbreeze and Cindertail's voices. He forced his eyes open. A crowd was gathered around him but they kept a distance as if unsure about him. Slowly, he got up into a sitting position. He noticed Sandwing's eyes on him. Disappointment reflected in her eyes and he suddenly felt very ashamed. Pinestar padded over to him. He felt even more ashamed. Pinestar had chosen to mentor him and he had failed. Pienstar's face was unreadable and passive. 

           "Is it true? What Lionbreeze says?" Pinestar interrogated. Lionbreeze watched, his eyes deadly. Blood dripped from his sides. Heartpaw was aware of his wounds but he didn't care. 

           "What did he say?" Heartpaw found the strength to ask. Pinestar, for a moment, looked a bit proud and hopeful. 

          "That you have been meeting with a WindClan she-cat," Pinestar said, his voice echoing clearly around the clearing. Heartpaw heard a sharp gasp and a few mumbles. Lionbreeze pounced to his feet. Heartpaw turned to see Honeypaw, backing away, her eyes clouded. He was filled with deeper shame and guilt. Lionbreeze gave Heartpaw a look of pure hatred and turned to Honeypaw and helped her away. 

           "Yes...," whispered Heartpaw. Pinestar's eyes turned dark and the hope was extinguished. 

           "You will be punished for your actions," said Pinestar. Heartpaw hung his head but nodded. Cindertail stepped forward. 

           "I know it is not you to betray your Clan, Heartpaw," said Cindertail. "And maybe you were young and foolish and didn't understand the consequences. Maybe, your mentor didn't tell you about the warrior code." She gave Pinestar a stern look and he glared back at her. 

          "Are you questioning me?" he hissed. 

          "Yes," she said firmly. He turned to Heartpaw. 

        "I may not have told you about the warrior code. But you must have known it is forbidden to have a relationship with a cat from another Clan," Pinestar said. Heartpaw nodded. "Your punishment shall be isolation. You are too young to be banished and I know Cindertail is right about you being young and foolish and not thinking your actions through. So, for ten days you will stay away from ShadowClan but in its territory. You will not go near the WindClan or ThunderClan border. And you will fend for yourself. At ten days, I will send a warrior to get you. And you will be confined to camp unless you are on a hunting patrol or border patrol. You will not be allowed to go out to hunt alone or just for a walk. And then, we'll see to your training later on." Heartpaw gulped and nodded sadly. It was too cold. How was he going to survive? He was just an apprentice. He had never learnt to hunt in winter and he had not been training for more and a moon as Pinestar was too busy. He sighed. Pinestar then called for Lionbreeze. Lionbreeze walked forward, barring his teeth at Heartpaw. 

          "Take care of his wounds," ordered Pinestar. Lionbreeze smirked. 

          "As if," he spat. "I would never." 

          "He'll die alone with these wounds. Heal him," Pinestar said once more. 

          "Never," hissed Lionbreeze. 

          "You will. You attacked him and you will take care of his wounds. Then he will get the punishment he deserves," Pinestar said. Lionbreeze growled under his breath but left to get herbs for Heartpaw. He brought them out, refusing to let Heartpaw into the medicine den and started taking care of Heartpaw's wounds. Heartpaw avoided eye contact and kept his eyes fixed to the ground. Finally, Lionbreeze deemed finished and stomped away. 

          "Go back to your duties!" ordered Pinestar to the gathered cats. Then he turned to Cindertail. "Follow him out, make sure he is far away enough from camp and that he goes deeper into the forest, not nearer to ThunderClan or WindClan territory. Cindertail nodded. Pinestar gave Heartpaw one more look and walked off. Cats glared at him and scorned him. Sandwing stopped him near the entrance. 

          "You're no better than Stormpelt. Breaking cats hearts because you feel like it," she growled.  Heartpaw bowed his head, he didn't know what to say. Firpaw stood next to his mother and Heartpaw looked at him, knowing he was going to see hatred and anger in his eyes but he only saw sadness and pity. Heartpaw thought that maybe Firpaw wasn't that bad after all, it was Lionbreeze. He sighed as he trailed after Cindertail. When they exited camp, she let him lead the way. He walked on, away from WindClan territory. He had no will to go back anyways. 

          "You need to find a warm place to sleep," Cindertail told him. "And you need to hunt everyday and make sure to drink. The first thing you need to worry about is shelter." Heartpaw didn't know why she was telling him this but he listened. He didn't want to die. 

          "You think it's strange I'm trying to help you?" Cindertail asked. Heartpaw nodded. "I know you didn't mean harm to the Clan. You thought you could love a cat from another Clan and still be loyal to your Clan. And I still think you're the same cat you used to be. You're still loyal. You're still brave and skilful. I still see potential in you. So don't give up yet." Heartpaw didn't know what to say so he didn't say anything. 

          "You're on your own for now. Remember what I said," Cindertail told him. And she turned around and padded away. Heartpaw looked around. He was in the middle of the forest. Each tree cast dangerous shadows around. He slunk into the shadows and walked and walked. He didn't want to find a shelter. He wanted to go back to camp and sleep in his nest with Hoenypaw and Firpaw. He still had a hope that Pinestar might come and get him but as the night got colder and darker, the hope was extinguished. He stopped trudging and found a small, fallen log. He crawled inside. It was cold but kept the wind out. He curled his tail around himself, tired. He didn't care that it was uncomfortable and that even the inside was frozen, at least he was away from the relentless wind. He shivered but the harsh wind lulled him to sleep.