Ch. 49

Heartpaw woke up to find his throat sore. But he wanted to see Ivypaw. He looked out of the medicine den. The sun was just setting. Lionbreeze had specifically told him not to go out but he felt stronger now. And it was just going to be for a while. Plus he wasn't going to be running. He'd be resting on the ground, talking to Ivypaw. He slowly crawled up. The camp clearing was empty. There was some commotion and talking at the elders den and talking in the warrior's den but nobody was in sight. Heartpaw rushed out of camp and took a deep breath. He slipped into the shadows and started making his way towards WindClan border. He finally found reached. He peered through the grass and spotted Ivypaw, she was already waiting for him. He felt suddenly relaxed and much better. Her eyes were immediately worried. 

            "You don't look too good," she said then ran through the Thunderpath and pushed her pelt near Heartpaw.

            "I feel fine," assured Heartpaw, shivering from the cold. Ivypaw pressed herself against him and they shared each others warmth. 

           "I thought you wouldn't be here today. I really needed to see you. Salmontail died... He was one of our elders. He was so nice and gentle....," Ivypaw trailed off. Heartpaw didn't know what to say so he licked her gently on the snout. 

           "We've had a few deaths too...," whispered Heartpaw. "I don't know... I feel kinda lost. I've never been in this kind of chaos before." 

           "Me neither. I thought leaf-bare would be all snow and playing but it's mostly death and sicknesses," sighed Ivypaw then she looked at Heartpaw seriously. "You promise you won't get sick. Please." 

           "I promise. And you too," said Heartpaw. Ivypaw nodded and leaned her head against his. He wrapped his tail around her. They were both lost in each others warmth. There was a gentle rustling behind them. Suddenly, there was a low growl. Ivypaw and Heartpaw sprang to their feet. Lionbreeze stood behind them, eyes glazed in anger. 

             "So you've been with a WindClan cat all this time?" he snarled. "You tell my sister you don't love her and cast her away because you love a WindClan cat?" Ivypaw backed away. Heartpaw didn't know what to do. His eyes wide in panic, he turned to Ivypaw. 

            "Go," he whispered. Lionbreeze didn't wait for anything, he launched himself at Heartpaw. Heartpaw was caught off guard and the wind was knocked out of him. He coughed and Lionbreeze sunk his claws into his side. Heartpaw cried out in pain. 

           "Lionbreeze!" he gasped. He rolled away and jumped to his paws, facing the medicine cat. Lionbreeze's eyes flashed with anger. His teeth barred, he snarled menacingly. 

           "You chose a WindClan cat over my sister?" accused Lionbreeze, full of hatred. 

           "I didn't mean to hurt her," cried Heartpaw. Ivypaw stepped in next to him. She crouched and growled. 

           "Get away from him," she snarled. 

           "Ivypaw, go now. We both know this is a mess. Go," said Heartpaw desperately. 

          "This psycho is attacking you," hissed back Ivypaw. 

          "I'm the psycho?" he said. "Look who you're talking to. You're both traitors to your Clan!" 

          "Ivypaw go now!" snapped Heartpaw. "You're making this worst." Ivypaw hesitated but the look in Heartpaw's eyes drove her away. 

            "You are going to pay for this," hissed Lionbreeze. "You had no right to hurt Honeypaw."