Ch. 46

Heartpaw woke up to a horrible wailing. He crawled out of the apprentice den. Pinestar padded over to him. 

             "Mousewhisker didn't make it," Pinestar said. Heartpaw dipped his head. How many cats were going to die because of greencough. 

              "Lionbreeze is running out of catmint and herbs," Pinestar told him. "You won't have training for some time. Go get as much wet moss as you can and a lot of dry moss for bedding. Dandelionfrost has greencough as well." Heartpaw nodded and shot out of camp. He raced towards where the moss grew the most. He tore out pieces, they were frozen but he couldn't worry about that. He dragged the bedding into camp then raced away for more. This time, he brought it to the river. He didn't even think of Ivypaw, he had to take care of his Clan. He dipped as much as he could into the cold stream which had luckily not frozen yet and brought it back to camp. Lionbreeze was talking to Pinestar. 

              "Then go, but Cindertail is going with you," said Pinestar. 

              "Fine," relented Lionbreeze. Pinestar nodded and went to fetch Cindertail. Lionbreeze spotted Heartpaw. 

               "Bring the moss outside of the elders den," ordered Lionbreeze and as Heartpaw walked past him he whispered, "what did you do to Honeypaw." Heartpaw swivelled around.

                "I'm sorry..., is she still mad?" asked Heartpaw. 

                "Mad?" said Lionbreeze then took a deep breath. "Hurt." 

                "I didn't mean it. Are you mad at me?" asked Heartpaw. He felt bad for Honeypaw. He hadn't realised what had been going on. He sighed, he would have to talk to her. 

                "No," Lionbreeze said and walked away but his usually gentle eyes blazed with something else. Heartpaw quickly brought the wet moss near the elders den. He heard some awful coughing and winced. He wanted to go inside and comfort his Clanmates but he didn't want to get sick. He really wanted to see Ivypaw. She would make things alright. The camp was chaos. Cats were running about, trying to organise patrols while trying to find ways to keep food. Heartpaw sighed. 

               "Do you need anything else?" asked Heartpaw to Pinestar as he passed with Cindertail. 

              "Go hunt. We need the food," Pinestar said distracted. Heartpaw nodded and watched as Cindertail and Lionbreeze slipped out of camp together. He crawled out of camp and watched them disappear then he shot towards the WindClan border. He crept through the long grasses. He knew there was almost zero chance Ivypaw wouldn't be there, but he wanted to be sure. He peered through. The WindClan grass blew gently. Everything was silent. The cold breeze bit his ears. He wondered how it was, in WindClan in leaf-bare with the wind so ruthless with no trees to protect them, exposed in the wind. He shivered, he would not like. Suddenly, there was some talking and rustling. Heartpaw hid and spotted a patrol further off. And he spotted two other figures. Cindertail and Lionbreeze. What were they doing? The patrol and Lionbreeze exchanged a few words then they were led down into WindClan territory. Suddenly, Ivypaw appeared. 

                "Ivypaw!" cried Heartpaw. 

               "Shh," said Ivypaw. 

              "Why didn't you come yesterday?" asked Heartpaw. 

               "I had... problems at WindClan," said Ivypaw. "Two of our elders have greencough. My Clan needed me, I wanted to stay with them. I hope you understand." Heartpaw nodded slowly. Ivypaw had not seen him because she was there for her Clan. He should have been too. He should have put his Clan first. They needed him as well. 

               "Is there something wrong?" Ivypaw asked. 

              "No, you're right," said Heartpaw. 

               "Ok...," frowned Ivypaw. 

               "How did you know I'd be here?" asked Heartpaw. 

              "I was on border patrol and we saw Lionbreeze and Cindertail. They needed herbs. Apparently your Clan has sick cats as well. So I guess yesterday we should both have been with our Clan. Anyways, I thought I'd come and see if you were here, just in case."

              "Yeah, thanks," Heartpaw replied. He sighed. He should have been there for his Clan. Like Ivypaw had. "I have to go. Sorry." Ivypaw frowned but nodded. 

              "I'll see you then," she smiled. Heartpaw nodded and streaked off. He was going to help his Clan, even with the smallest things like bringing wet moss.