three

"Splitsies?" Jack asked, slamming his lunch tray on the table. It was lunch, and Jack, Ellie, Finn and I were sitting at a table together in the courtyard.

"Of course," I responded. Jack and I always split our lunches, usually because I had way better food than him and I felt bad. I handed him half of my cream cheese bagel and he gave me some of his baloney sandwich. I hated baloney, but I pretended to like it for Jack.

"Hey, I don't get any?" Finn asked playfully, nudging my side. I smiled and ripped my half of the bagel in two before giving it to him. Finn and I were getting along really well. It hasn't even been a day and I feel like I've known him forever. Lunch went by uneventfully. Jack spilled orange juice all over himself and had a fit, but that's about all that happened. Science was entertaining enough. Jack and I got to sit next to each other, to Ellie's dismay. Then came college prep. Jack and I had no idea what the fuck that class was going to be about. We entered the classroom apprehensively. Once again, the seats were organized in groups of two. Finn was already sitting in the front row.

"Baby boy, come sit with me," he said to Jack. "Madison can sit behind us," he added. Jack scooted over to Finn and I sat behind him.

"Finn and I are in love," Jack informed me. He kissed Finn's shoulder as Finn patted his head lovingly.

"Ellie is quaking," I joked. They both laughed and turned around to face the front of the room, talking to each other. I smiled to myself. I could already tell that Jack and Finn had such a pure friendship.

"Hello class. I am Mrs. Ford. You may think this class is for playing around. It's not. College is very serious. So is this class," our teacher welcomed us.

"We're in 10th grade. Why does college matter now?" Jack asked. I rolled my eyes.

"You think college doesn't matter, Mr..."

"Grazer. And no. I have time to worry about that shit later," he said. The class laughed.

"Excuse me?" Mrs. Ford said angrily. Every year, Jack picked a teacher to torment and bully, and this year I could tell Mrs. Ford was the one. The class continued with Jack making witty remarks half the time. Eventually the class ended. Jack and I linked arms and proceeded to the bus stop with Finn, who had earbuds in. Ellie was already waiting for us.

"There you are babe. Can we sit together?" Ellie asked Jack. He looked nervously at me. I've always sat with Jack on the bus. Since they day we met, we've sat on the bus together. But I guess it was fine. I could sit with Finn instead.

"Go for it," I confirmed. We unlinked arms and Jack went to stand next to Ellie.

"Have you ever counted shoulders? Here," Jack said to Ellie. "One, two, three, four." Jack tapped his shoulders, then Ellie's, before putting his arm around her. I rolled my eyes again. I knew Jack took that from Sierra Burgess is a Loser, a movie we watched together over facetime while he was at camp. The movie was awful. Jack didn't like to admit it, but he was a hopeless romantic.

"Guess you're stuck with me." Finn winked. He pulled out an earbud and put in in my ear. Wow. I hadn't even asked, he hadn't even offered. He just knew. I was fucking in love with this boy already. Finn had been listening to Lunar Vacation, which I had learned at lunch was one of his favorite bands. I smiled at him yet again, and we got on the bus which had just pulled up. The ride was boring, and I reached my house around 4. My parents were both at work so I had the whole house to myself. My house was pretty big, especially since it was just me and my parents. I was an only child. I walked up to my room and flopped onto my bed. It had been a long fucking day. I quickly did the small amount of homework that I had, and decided to check my phone. I was greeted with about 10 texts from Jack.

jack attack 💛
MADISON
MADISON
MADS
MADDIE
BITCH
MADISON
HELLO
GET ON YOUR PHONE
BITCHHH
MADISON
!!!!!!!

madison
omg hi
what do you want i was busy doing homework
like a good little tot

jack attack 💛
Guess who asked for your numberrrrrrr

madison
omg what
who

jack attack 💛
FINNLARD
FINN ASKED FOR YOU NUMBER
I SHIP
DATE HIM

madison
jack chill its probably just for homework or something

jack attack 💛
"Homework"
Sureeeee
He probably wants to fuck
Anyways can I give it to him?

madison
JACK
YOU CANT SAY THAT
and yes ;)
give it to him

jack attack 💛
Ok done
See you tomorrow bestie

madison
love you jackie

I set down my phone, my heart racing. Finn wanted my number. Finn asked for my number. But it was probably for homework. Right? My phone buzzed and I looked down excitedly. I had a new text from an unknown number.

unknown
Well hello
Madison I presume?

madison
hi finn :)

finny boy :)
Ah you caught me
I wanted to be a secret for a bit

madison
finn im not stupid
anyways whats up

finny boy :)
Nothing much
Just wanted to say hi and thank you for being so nice to me today

madison
no prob
so hows your night going

finny boy :)
Great now that I'm talking to you

madison
smooth
real smooth

finny boy :)
I need a contact picture
Send me one

madison

i'm cute

i'm cute

finny boy :)
Not as cute as me

finny boy :)Not as cute as me

madison
debatable.