III

The dust danced around the bedroom as Suriel searched through the wardrobe of the couple who used to live there.

"First impressions matter! So you need to look good for the world to see when you go out there!" he had said before basically jumping in and swimming between the old clothes.

Lying on the bed was a single jacket, the only piece of cloth they had found that was his size. Everything else was either too big for him or was woman clothing.

"Are you sure this thing won't turn into dust once I put it on? Besides, what's wrong with MY clothes?" Cassiel asked, looking at his searching from the bed.

"A change of look can help you start a new life more easily, since you won't look like you used to do before. Your clothes are fine, but I just want to give them a... cleaner look. When was the last time you had a bath?"

"When was the last time you had shoes?" he replied mockingly at Suriel's naked feet, who ignored his comment.

"If you want this to work then trust in me" he stepped out of the old wardrobe and took the royal blue jacket. "I'm sure that there is hot water so it's going to be pleasant."

The demon stood up hesitantly and grumbling, shaking away all of the dust in the air near him.

"Alright, I'm going to. Do you want me to take the clothes off now or-"

"No, no. Do it in the bathroom and then pass them." He said quickly.

Cassiel went and turned the bathroom lights on. The small room only had a bathtub, a sink with a mirror, a toilet, and a lonely window. After finding out which faucet was the one that poured hot water he let the bathtub start to fill with it, taking his clothes off while waiting.

"Hey, catch it." He threw the bunch of clothing outside to the room and closed the door. By the sounds of footsteps going out of the room, he guessed that the boy took his clothes to wash them.

...

The bath wasn't that bad. Actually, it felt pretty nice with the cold time of the season. Lying in there felt like a whole, warm blanket was covering his entire body and inducing him to fall asleep. Sleeping was his favorite thing to do, so combine with the loveliness of the hot bath it was like being in heaven again. Well, maybe not exactly like heaven, but it was really good nonetheless.

Then there was the little laundry room, where Suriel was taking care of the old clothes by washing them manually on a bucket. There was a washing machine, but he didn't know how to use it so he continued washing them even though his fingers were freezing. The only thing he knew how to use was the drier, something that was actually important since he couldn't be able to dry them otherwise. While waiting for the drier to do its job, he explored the rest of the house with curiosity of how the demon lived here. There was a kitchen in the living room, with cabinets, a stove, a washing sink, and a fridge. Upon opening the fridge, a putrid stench came out revealing that all the food that was inside had gone bad.

"How did he not notice the smell? He must truly only be using this place to stay hidden..." Suriel thought as he threw the rotten wood away. He would find somewhere to take it out later.

The rest of the cabin had a guest room with its own bathroom, whose lights didn't appear to be working and the laundry room of course. He had also noticed that in the floor and the walls there was markings of what appeared to be scratches made by an animal, judging by their size. The angel didn't put much thought into it, knowing how it was very probable a wild animal from the woods might have done it. A pitting sound alerted him that his little journey had ended and that the clothes were ready. As he took them out, he couldn't resist holding onto them for their warm.