❦ two ❦

George ran faster than he ever did in his life. Even when he tripped and scraped his palms and elbows, he picked himself up and carried on. He panted heavily to catch his breath, his legs ached from the effort but he did not want to stop.

He collapsed fully on the floor when he could not go anymore. He breathed heavily, his lungs aching from the effort. He tried to quiet his breathing but failed.

He'd never seen anything like what he saw in the parking lot. The smiling, warm girl was gone. She was replaced with pure terror as her blood poured from her into the pavement.

Just thinking of the warm, sticky liquid made him sick.

A sudden noise startled him and he knew, at once, what it was. Flesh was being torn from bone and the scream he heard immediately after only confirmed his suspicion.

He was going to die tonight. He would die there on the forest floor with only the dead silence of the trees to keep him company.

He gathered himself from the floor, wiping the sweat from his brow with the back of his hand. He swallowed his fear, he had to think of a way to get out.

The sound of crunching of dried leaves underfoot sent George running again. He had to find a way to escape...somehow...

He'd see his family again.

He came upon a break in the trees and almost hurled himself to the clearing. Surely, he could find somewhere to hide there.

A growl made him turn. He hadn't seen the dark haired girl in the night. She held a man in her arms tightly, so tightly he was sure she would snap him in half. Her head was buried in his neck, her sharp nails digging mercilessly into her victim's exposed neck.

George stepped back unknowing stepping on a branch that snapped under his weight. He froze as the girl met his gaze.

He'd never been so terrified and so in awe as in that moment.

He knew the girl. She was new in town.

He lived on the island long enough to know everyone. New neighbors always brought gossip with them.

His grandmother was the first to call her to his attention.

"A girl," she had said with a smile. "Your same age, George. Maybe you'll hit it off. Her name is Jude."

He recognized her long black hair even in the moonlight. He recognized her long, lithe figure in the small amount of light.

And she recognized him.

Immediately she dropped the unconscious man from her arms and wiped her mouth with the back of her sleeve. Despite trying to make herself presentable, he could see a dark liquid streaked across her cheek.

She looked to be so nice too. She smiled shyly at him once, flipped her hair when they were first introduced.

He didn't recognize her voice when she spoke. It had been light once, pleasant. Now, it sounded deep, with a deep growl. "Who has claimed you?"

George shook his head in agreement. No, he wasn't supposed to be there.

She took a step forward. George moved quickly, terrified. He placed his hands in front of him, palms out towards her. "Don't come closer."

George didn't even finish before she was in front of him. She grabbed his wrist forcefully and in a swift movement, placed her tongue against his fresh wounds in his hands.

Her eyes rolled back in ecstasy and she inhaled deeply.

Vampire. She was a freaking vampire!

George felt himself shaking and his voice was a frightened squeak. "Please, don't kill me."

He could see a smile on her beautiful, pouty lips. "I'll try my best, love."

Someone howled behind her. George gasped as Jude gripped him tighter like a vice. She turned towards the noise, and hissed unnaturally like a cat.

George didn't even notice her sudden disappearance into the night until his wrist felt suddenly cool.

George didn't hesitate to run again. Before he could get too far, something pushed him into a nearby tree. His back cracked from the force. Fingers grabbed and pulled his hair, exposing his neck.

As soon as he felt teeth bite down, something new pulled it away. When he looked up, he found Jude, with her hands around the man's head.

She growled unnaturally and when she spoke there was pure venom in her words. "He's mine!"

The man didn't move but George could see the fear in his eyes. He didn't flinch even when her fingernails dig into his neck and cheek. "Apologize to my mate."

The man's eyes shifted towards George. "I did not realize—"

She pinned him harder with a firm press of her nails to his cheek. "That is not an apology."

The man growled but he barked out an apology. "My apologies, Alpha. I thought the human was available in the Hunt."

"Well," she said with a low voice. "You know now. Who added him to the Hunt?"

George watched him swallow. "I don't know, my queen."

Jude's eyes met George's and George felt his heart skip a beat. The girl was beautiful and otherworldly. She gave a kind smile. "George, can you describe the person that added you to the Hunt?"

George wasn't sure how he found his voice. "A girl with long black hair."

She snorted. "Must be Eleanor." She looked at her prisoner. "Care to bring her to me?"

The man nodded firmly. "Yes, my queen."

Slowly, she let him go. George could see small bruises on his neck and face from where her nails dig into his flesh.

A moment later, he was gone.

George watched the girl across from him with bated breath. "You're a queen."

She nodded. "Yes. I lead my clan. I am the alpha by birth."

"He has to do what you say?"

She nodded again, her hair shimmering in the moonlight. "Yes, if he values his life."

George swallowed. "Can I go home?"

She shook her head, stepping forward. "I can't let you do that."

Slowly, he began to stand. "I won't tell anyone. I promise I won't."

She smiled again. "I know. But that's not why."

George's voice was barely a whisper. "Why not?"

"Because you're my mate. We belong to each other."

George shook his head. "I don't understand."

She smiled kindly. He didn't see any malice in her smile. "Your blood is calling to me, George. I don't need anyone else in my life. With you by my side, I will be invincible." She took a another step forward. "You will be a King, respected and loved." She smiled again and extended her hand towards him. "George, how would you like to leave this island?"